Passing on the Baton: We Bid Farewell To Martina Andretta

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at City London chapter.

Martina Andretta has been the driving force behind Her Campus City London for almost a year! However, sadly, she has chosen to leave us and pass the role on Editor onto myself (Victoria Hood). 

We thought it was only right that she was this weeks Campus Celeb! I had a chat with Martina about her time with Her Campus, her plans for the future and her favourite covered topics!

What are your plans now that you are leaving us? Graduating, I guess! Jokes apart, I think it’s time for me to think about what I’d like to do in the future. In less than six months my time at City will be over and the only thing I know is that I want to travel the world a bit before settling down. Hopefully internships and work experiences should help me define what branch of journalism I’d like to work in… So I’ll start from there!

What has been your highlight of being the Her Campus editor? I’m really proud that only after half a year online we managed to be awarded “Bronze chapter” by HC Nationals and to receive two prizes for individual articles. HC is such a big network and it feels incredibly rewarding to stand out between all the other universities! Also, it might sound cheesy; I’ve always loved spending time with my team. I think that what makes Her Campus unique is the sense of community that builds between the members. That afternoon we spent at a milkshake place, opening our new Survival Kit and chatting was unforgettable!

Which story, in particular, has stood out to you that you have covered? I think we did quite a good job covering the breaking news related to the licence controversy with the SU. However, I particularly like our Celebrity/Cutie sections, as they really make us stand out from other student media. We give individual students a space to be seen and to promote what they do, and we encourage readers to support local talents. So, go Cutie and go Celeb!

Any advice for future her campus recruits?  Don’t be scared to be involved! I know how easy and comfortable it seems to focus only on your studies and spend weekends binge-watching TV series, but in the blink of an eye you will find yourself in your third year and you’ll ask yourself: “Why didn’t I apply for that?”. And yes, you should DEFINITELY join Her Campus because you’ll build valuable connections in and outside university, develop your skills and make awesome friends. Why wouldn’t anyone want that?!

Finally what’s your life motto? There is a saying by an African ethnic group, the Bambara, that says: “Everything that it’s said or done, in men, in the Kingdom, in the world, it’s a door”. To me, that means that everything you get involved with generates opportunities, no matter when or where, and you shouldn’t be scared to grab them!

From all of us at the Her Campus team: Thank you for everything Martina!! xx

Victoria Hood

City London

I'm a Northern Irish girl adjusting to uni life in the big city of London. Currently a first year of BA Journalism at City University. I'm a big nerd at heart with an interest in film, TV and games. If you enjoy my writing, and want to read my blog, the link is: http://vich145.tumblr.com/ “The more that you read, the more things you will know. The more that you learn, the more places you'll go.” - Dr Seuss