The Mascaras’ Battle

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at City London chapter.

Looking for a way to make your eyes stand out? Despite the money we pay, not all mascaras are worth their price. Today I am going to show you my favourite ones; some are really accessible,  while others are more high-end products. Let’s start with the accessible ones: 

• 2000 Calories mascara by MaxFactor: You can find it at Boots or Superdrug for around £8. It’s the last mascara I have tried, and what a suprise! It’s brilliant! Its super curl brush will grab your lashes and create the perfect lenght and cat-eye effect. Your lashes will look black but without becoming over-dramatic, and with two layers of it and some black pencil in the water line you are good to go! For me it’s the best between these first three ones, so run into your local drug store to get one! 
  • Yves Rocher’s Sexy Pulse mascara: Yves Rocher is a French brand, and it might be a bit harder to get it in the UK. However, if you decide to order it and try it out I am sure you won’t regret it. Its brush is quite big, so be careful when you apply it. It will give immediate volume to the lashes, but still look pretty natural and flirty. If, like me, you want to keep it simple when going to uni, one layer will be enough. For a night out, insist a bit more: it will be super georgous without looking fake.  
  • The Falses Volum’ express by Maybelline. You can find this one basically everywhere. It’s the cheapest, but it still does a great job! I prefer the others only because this one tends to have a bit too much product going on the brush and when you apply it can smudge on your lid. Apart from that, it is nice!

On the other hand, here are two of my samples of high-end products:

• Clinique high impact mascara: It’s just amazing! It costs about £22, so way more expensive that the previous ones. It creates just the right length, and I really like the way it looks on my lashes. If you put a few coats of it, you can achieve a dramatic night out look, without having to spend ages on your make-up! The only bad point I would give is that it tends to form packs on the brush, so it won’t always apply heavenly on the lashes. Apart from that, I would highly recommend it if you can afford it! 
  • Inimitable intense by Chanel: My favourite so far! And also the most expensive (around £28) but totally worth it! This product has everything you can ask from a mascara. It is really black, it gives a super length, an incredible curl, it lasts, it is not smudging trough the day… And it still looks natural and not gross. I will ask it for Christmas, that’s for sure! If you already have pretty lashes maybe you’ll find it unnecessary, but I just love its result!