Ludovica, The Dreamer: “Don’t Grow Up. It’s A Trap!”

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at City London chapter.

All of us suffer a bit of the “Peter Pan syndrome”. Who would’t take the chance to go back in time to be a child once again? Ludovica can be seen as a young and talented grown-up from the outside, but her childish side is always inside her.

Living in London to complete her studies, she is passionate about everything artistic and creative. Even though sometimes the City might seem quite massive (we know it really well!), but she has figured how to overcome bad moments. Looking at things with the eyes of a chil will let London open up to you. “Don’t grow up. It’s a trap!”

Inspiring Quote: “If you are going to fail, then fail gloriously” – Cate Blanchet

Name: Ludovica Ottaviani

Major & Year of Study: Master in Culture management policy

Country of origin: Italy

Relastionship status: Secretly married with a rockstar

You come from one of the most creative and artistic countries in the world, Italy. Why did you choose to pursue a culture-related master in London? I am from Rome, so yes, I am surrounded by culture and history all the time. However, all this history kind of prevents us from looking at the future. Italians tend to ignore what is next to them and what a city like Rome can actually offer, not only to its citizens but also to millions of tourists who visit it every year. On the contrary, London is the centre of the arts. I think that whatever you’re looking for, you can easily find it here: cinema, music, theatre… You could easily be overwhelmed by all its creativity. I moved to London to pursue my studies in CMP because I am sure it can give me a chance to work in the arts industry. Here there is always something to do, to see, to listen to, and to discover at any time of the day. There are festivals all the weekends. there’s plenty of young people and it makes me feel completely alive.

What is your dream of a lifetime? My dream is to be happy, satisfied but to never bored. I would like to be always surprised by what happens in my everyday life. I dream of never losing the child inside of me that helps me seeing things in their most meaningful way. However, if you want to talk about my career goals, I hope to marry a rock star and to have champagne for breakfast!

What inspires you? Coincidence and Jon Bon Jovi.

Would you define yourself a dreamer or a realist? I am dreamer but I really need to start to be more realistic!

If you had to choose only one thing between music, books and cinema, which one would you pick? I couldn’t choose, so I think I would rather choose a movie based on a book with a Thomas Newman’s soundtrack.

Tricky! And if you had only one day left, what would you do? A family dinner. I would sing ‘If I only had one more day’, quote from the song “Could it be any harder” by The Calling.

Halloween is coming. Are you the kind of never-grown up girl who loves to go around asking for treats, or the one who sits on the couch with popcorns to watch a horror movie? I hater horror movies, so no couch and popcorns for me (also because I don’t have a couch here in London!). Therefore, my plan B would be to wander around my accommodation asking “Trick or treat”? Of course, I’m even planning some bad tricks for the occasion.

Do you want to share any particular tips to those out there who want to build their career in the arts field? It is true that making a living in the arts field might be quite tough, but what I keep saying to myself is that in the end of day, I may be poor but happy!

Irreverent journalist, creative head of Ciao Mamma!, polyglot writer and curious filmmaker. Originally from Italy, I made my way to the big city to follow my dream of becoming a reporter. I love art, politics, frogs and halloumi. Check out my website: www.ciaomamma.it Connect on LinkedIn: uk.linkedin.com/in/martinaandretta/