Laura Gibson and Her New Album ‘La Grande’

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at City London chapter.

Portland-based folk singer Laura Gibson recently wowed the crowds at ‘The Social’ in London, receiving outstanding reviews from popular music magazines and national papers, and a four star album rating from the Evening Standard. I interviewed the singing sensation about her life in music.

Where does the inspiration for your music come from? Is it people, places, experiences? I’m inspired by words and stories, in many forms. I’m inspired by long walks, by long conversations, by nature, by love, by grief, by bodies of water, by the human body, and by the ways we bend ourselves towards and away from relationships.

Which artists do you follow in the UK? Thinking of UK artists, it’s hard to avoid the Adele record. I helped out at a free music camp for teenagers last summer, and the girls I was working with wanted to sing Adele songs. I was definitely impressed with her as a role model for those girls. Right now it seems there is a pretty sweet indie music scene in the UK. We played with the band Peggy Sue a few months back, and they were amazing (I’ve since checked out a few of their friend’s bands who were also amazing).

How does it feel performing in the UK? Is it a different experience? Audiences in the UK have been so warm and genuine, and I have always really felt at home with them. It’s hard to really nail down the experience of playing back in the US because audiences vary so much from place to place. 

You’re new album ‘La Grande’ has just been released. Was it hard work? There were moments that felt really light and easy, but overall, it was incredibly labor intensive. I felt like I was putting together a giant puzzle for months. There were many long days in the studio followed by long nights recording in my room, or figuring out arrangements on a midi keyboard. It feels like so long ago now, but at the time I felt entirely overwhelmed, entirely alive and somewhat crazy. But it was a good puzzle, a satisfying one.

Where do you see yourself in five years time? Well, maybe this sounds cliché, but I have the beginnings of a novel plotted out, and I’m looking forward to a time that I can work on it. Perhaps in five years, I’ll be hunkering down to write it. I’m sure I’ll still be playing music. I hope I will have grown in wisdom and kindness.

What advice would you give up and coming artists trying to get their music into the spotlight? Make the best work you can make, something you’re excited to share, and surround yourself with people who genuinely inspire you and make you want to be a better person. Seek out the experiences that will make you feel alive.   

Here’s a taster of her new album, the new single ‘La Grande’.

Images from Altsounds