Green City Week Takes Over Campus

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at City London chapter.

The university went environmentally friendly for Green City Week. Several workshops and events took place all over the university, hoping to give insight to students on the benefits of recycling, upcycling and sustainability.

Monday’s events saw Green Dragons speaking about the benefits of a meat-free diet for the environment and your health before an evening celebration at the Oliver Thompson Lecture Theatre. A reception, featuring a nibbles and drinks with a host of speaking and guests listened to the green team talking about their sustainability projects for the future. Monday also saw an upcycling workshop, showing how to convert used materials into new objects for better, environmentally-friendly usage.

Tuesday’s line-up included a demonstration from the Green Dragons on how bad sugar is for you. The evening saw Green City Cycle Cinema in The Great Hall, which included a screening of the 1992 movie “Wayne’s World”. During the free event audience members took turns to ride pedal bikes in order to power the cinema’s screen and sound.

Wednesday turned monochrome as City Library’s Environment Group invited staff and students to wear something green. They also organised pop-up swap trollies where you could trade your old books, DVD’s or magazine’s for someone else’s. Oliver Thompson Lecture Theatre hosted a debate from The Square Meal looking at various issues affecting the food system. Experts discussed poor diets, obesity, farming and animal welfare.

Thursday saw the return of the Green Dragons Restart Project where coaches showed people how to repair their broken gadgets. A fresh fruit and vegetable stall also popped up outside the main entrance.

Today is the last days of green activities and our campus will be as buzzing as ever, so don’t miss out!. Find out more about ecological innovations with the Green Dragon’s Hydrovillage Project from 11.00 to 2.00 pm at the Northampton Suite (and read our interview with the project leader!) or create and outdoor learning space for children at the Pemberton Community Garden (11.30 to 2.00 pm in Upper Holloway).

You’re also still in time for Shwop@work: drop off your unwanted clothes and shoes at the box set up along Level 1 main walkway (University Building) and receive an M&S voucher for £5 off a £35 spend on clothing, home or beauty.

To find out more about the various events taking place around our university, visit Green City Week‘s webpage.

Photo credits to green-dragons.co.uk

Irreverent journalist, creative head of Ciao Mamma!, polyglot writer and curious filmmaker. Originally from Italy, I made my way to the big city to follow my dream of becoming a reporter. I love art, politics, frogs and halloumi. Check out my website: www.ciaomamma.it Connect on LinkedIn: uk.linkedin.com/in/martinaandretta/