F/W 2014: 4 Wicked Winter Trends!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at City London chapter.

The cold and wet winter has hit us and that means… It’s time to update our wardrobes! Pack away your maxi dresses, sunglasses and embellished sandals and prepare to swap them for chunky knits, tweed coats and stylish boots.

Take a look at the top four trends that you mustn’t miss out this season!

• Blue

Blue has had something of a comeback this season, featuring prominently on the catwalks of Gucci, Marchesa and Lanvin. From baby blue to cobalt blue, and everything in between, it was splashed across the high fashion and high street autumn/winter collections. It hasn’t been used only on clothes, but also – and most importantly – as an accent colour on shoes, jackets, bags and even gloves! This way you don’t have to work the look top to toe and you can just incorporate it into your wardrobe with one piece. It’s okay to feel blue this winter, ladies!  

• Dark florals    

In the fashion world we associate florals with summer, pretty pastel colours and lightweight fabrics. This season the floral trend has been fantastically reworked to suit the autumn/winter season. Just think of bold embroidery on brocade and velvet paired with crochet and lace, creating a feeling of dark femininity. It was seen in the collections of Dolce&Gabbana, Erdem and Marni among others, and it is the perfect occasion for who usually shy away from summery florals to try out the trend.

• Capes 

Statement coats will always come around in different prints, colours and shapes, but the cape is the only truly new arrivals for outwear this season. It gives a more refined and elegant air to any look, and is so easy to work that anybody can wear one. Paired with skinny jeans, pencil skirts, and even cocktail dresses, the regal folds and feel of the fabric would make any lady walk a little taller!  

• 60’s Mod 

The swinging sixties are back! As seen on the catwalks of Gucci, Louis Vuitton and Valentino, the trends of the sixties have been reworked for the modern girl. We’re talking about A-line dresses, printed tunics Mary Jane’s, patent statement boots, Polo necks and graphic Mod inspired prints. With the pop of bright colours and animal prints, this trend is guaranteed to cheer us up during the winter months.  

Will you be rocking these trends? Comment below and let us know!