Fun in the Sun: Which Bikini Suits You Best?

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at City London chapter.

Hey ladies! I hope exam season is going well for all of you – and if it isn’t, hey, it’ll be over soon, right? If you’re like me, the only thing getting you through this horrid period of revision is the promise of summer, the season of endless tanning, beach days, cool drinks… Ahhh, I could go on! Buuuut if you’re also like me, those endless beach days have you a little nervous about one word: bikinis.

Even though EVERY GIRL IS BEAUTIFUL, we all have our little insecurities about certain body parts. I have good news, though, and it comes in two parts: 1) you’re probably the only one noticing your flaws, and 2) there is a bikini to fit literally anyone. Here, find yours:

• IF YOUR SHAPE IS AN HOURGLASS (your bust measures the same as your hips)I searched for years to find my perfect bikini. My shape is a typical hourglass, but I’m quite busty (definitely not as fun as it sounds… Especially because I’m a runner) with thin legs, so I often have to buy my tops in a size large but my bottoms in a size small. What works for me is a more high-waisted bottom with a strapless, bandeau-style top, like this style from Victoria’s Secret.
  • IF YOUR SHAPE IS A PEAR (you’re smaller on top but larger on bottom)One of my best (and most bootylicious!) friends has always felt uncomfortable in bathing suits because she’s insecure about her curvy thighs and butt. My chicken legs and I shout at her every time: “If you’ve for it, flaunt it! Shake what your mama gave ya!”. But to each their own – she chooses to instead focus on her flat stomach. Pear shapes like her are suited to halter-shaped tops, which emphasize a small bustline and keep the focus on your upper half. 
  • IF YOUR SHAPE IS ATHLETIC (you’re kind of like a ruler: straight top to bottom!)Okay, I’m really jealous of you because you’re going to get to wear what I think is the coolest swimsuit ever, but would never suit my shape. Triangle-shaped tops with a low-cut bottom, which flatters your narrow hips… Really simple but somehow impossibly cool.

Are you going anywhere nice this summer? Let me know so I can be jealous via Internet… I’ll be in rainy London :( – VK xxx

Pictures from Victoria’s Secret

Media Studies & Sociology student at CUL from New York. Cheese, books, and dogs are VERY important to me.
Irreverent journalist, creative head of Ciao Mamma!, polyglot writer and curious filmmaker. Originally from Italy, I made my way to the big city to follow my dream of becoming a reporter. I love art, politics, frogs and halloumi. Check out my website: www.ciaomamma.it Connect on LinkedIn: uk.linkedin.com/in/martinaandretta/