Determination and business cards: Marcelo Serra Martins

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at City London chapter.

The end of the academic year is near and, for some, graduation is as well! It’s time to leave university and jump into the labour market. Do you think your wardrobe is ready for this? Let’s hear some words of wisdom from our cutie of the week, Marcelo!

Name: Marcelo Serra Martins        

Major & Year of Study: BSc Air Transport Operations and Management, 3rd year

Country of origin: Spain

Relationship status: Single

What are you most involved in at uni? In all honesty, I would be the worst one to ask this question. I have not been involved in anything within the university. Before I came here all my teachers in school told us to sign up to as many things as possible in order to meet new people and make new friends, but then when it came to I didn’t really find anything that interested me.

What do you want to do once graduated? This is a question I am asking myself everyday! Most probably, I will continue to work where I am now, but my dream is to become an air traffic controller. The reality, however, is that there are very few jobs available at the moment. I have been applying to companies all over the world because I do not mind moving away, but the search still goes on (so if anyone knows any jobs related to aviation management, let me know!). I also want to do a master in Computer Science and then an MBA later on, but it all depends on whether I can find someone that sponsors me or if I can get a scholarship, as I would have to leave my current job in order to cope with the workload. 

What is your favourite activity to do in London? I love to go to the theatre and to try new restaurants. The only issue is that both of those activities tend to be quite expensive, so it’s not something I do all the time. Also, being in London it would be daft not to take advantage of the shops that are there. Coming from an island to the east of Spain where brands are practically non-existent, this is paradise! I like to treat myself once a month, so whenever I get the chance I will have a stroll down Bond Street or King’s Road and see what catches my eye.

Is there someone that inspires you in terms of fashion and lifestyle? I don’t think that there is someone that inspires me in the way that I dress of in the lifestyle I live. I wouldn’t say that I have a particular taste in clothes, although some people would disagree. I buy clothes if I like them and if they fit well. Some people say that I don’t live a student’s lifestyle because of the shops I shop in, things I do or places I hang out in, but I think they are pretty normal things to do. I luckily have a job that allows me to treat myself quite frequently and to have a comfortable lifestyle, so why not take advantage of it, right?

Do you think appearance is a good business card at uni? I think it is. You never know who attends your university or whom the person you are sitting in front of in a lecture may know. So I think that dressing well can definitely get certain people’s attention that could help you in the future. However, I don’t think it’s all about the way someone dresses. Someone could be constantly dressed in Tom Ford but can be a complete nightmare to be around. So I think that having a humble attitude is also a key addition on to that business card!

Follow Marcelo on Instagram: marceloserra

Claudia Romeo

City London

Multi-tasked storyteller studying Journalism at City University London. Italian born with the innate gift of loving pasta. Currently managing to balance the crush on my hair with the love for 11 men passing a ball on a green pitch. Cannot leave the house without make-up.
Irreverent journalist, creative head of Ciao Mamma!, polyglot writer and curious filmmaker. Originally from Italy, I made my way to the big city to follow my dream of becoming a reporter. I love art, politics, frogs and halloumi. Check out my website: www.ciaomamma.it Connect on LinkedIn: uk.linkedin.com/in/martinaandretta/