CULSU Names Award-Winning Societies and Students

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at City London chapter.

The annual Students’ Union Awards Ceremony named student societies, media, sports group and Raising and Giving (RAG) contributors for their outstanding performance during the academic year 2013/2014.

The awards night held on the 10th of April has seen many students recognised for their contributions to various extracurricular activities and clubs at City University London. The event was hosted by the CULSU at the university’s student bar, Saddlers, with some of the awards sponsored by organisations such as KPMG Careers and Llyod’s Register Group. It is also one of the last events to be held at this location before it gets knocked-down for renovation.

Winners of the awards include Stephen Narh for ‘Club or Society Committee Member of the Year’; Joanna Trainor for the ‘Newcomer Award’; Debating Society as the ‘Most Improved Society of the Year’; and the Green Dragons’ PIEL initiative for the ‘Best Environmental Event or Campaign’.

The Mountaineering Club garnered two awards, namely the ‘Best Society’ and ‘Best Sports Team of the Year’. While other sports-related awards, ‘Team of the Year’ and ‘Sports Person of the Year’, went respectively to the Women’s Tennis Team and to Georgia Nwawulor.

Members of the media team were also recognised for their efforts, with Katherine Iorio of diverCity winning the ‘Best Feature of the Year’ for her piece about Spanish and UK abortion laws. City OnAir, the university’s student radio, also bagged the ‘Best Media Outlet of the Year Award’, making it the best media outlet for three consecutive years.

City OnAir Editor Samuel Gould said that to win three years in a row shows that the station has team dynamics that work. He said: “The team has not only produced great content, but also learned things we didn’t expect to learn and discovered new friendships. It is also clear that the efforts each member has put in have been worth it, as every part of the station has been massively improved.”

“Engaging the team on a level that they enjoy what they are doing makes them come back time and time again. That’s what makes OnAir the great little radio station it is,” he added.

Raising and Giving volunteers were not forgotten with the Islamic Society, which got ‘Best Contribution to RAG’, and Zahra Jaffer, who was awarded as the ‘Most Creative Fundraiser’.

The full list of awards and winners of the Students’ Union Awards 2013/2014 is available on the CULSU website. while the full gallery of photographs are on the CULSU Carrot Facebook account. 

Photos from the CULSU Carrot Facebook page

Zay Arguelles

City London

My name is Zay Arguelles and I trudge upon life with a profound love for reading. I’m a 20-year-old Journalism undergrad at City University London. Orginally born in the Philippines, which is an archipelago in the Southeast Asia right on the fringes of the Pacific Ocean, I now find myself grasping for stars and dreams in London. I am currently the Deputy Editor of City Uni's student radio, City OnAir and you can check out my blogs on my webiste at www.zay-arguelles.comOnline Presence:Blog - Where Words FlyBook Blog - Strictly About BooksYouTube - Zay’s Channel | Where Words FlyTwitter - @zay_arguellesTumblr - wherewordsfly
Irreverent journalist, creative head of Ciao Mamma!, polyglot writer and curious filmmaker. Originally from Italy, I made my way to the big city to follow my dream of becoming a reporter. I love art, politics, frogs and halloumi. Check out my website: www.ciaomamma.it Connect on LinkedIn: uk.linkedin.com/in/martinaandretta/