Best Quotes From The Oscars 2015

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at City London chapter.

The 87th Annual Academy Awards, taken place on February 22, entertained us all night long. Together with our fellow cuppas, what kept our eyes open were certainly the gems of the guests.

Rumours say Neil Patrick Harris, after an awesome musical beginning, slowly dampened down. We are not going to agree with this (everybody can have a bad night, after all – just maybe not the Oscars’ night…). Rather, we do like to think that NPH has been overshadowed by the great personalities of the winners and their powerful speeches.

Here is a list of our favourites from last night’s Awards.

“Call your mom. If you’re lucky enough to have a parent or two alive on this planet, call them. Don’t text, don’t email … and thank them and listen to them, for as long as they want to talk to you.” – JK Simmons, winner of best supporting actor for Whiplash.

“To every woman who gave birth to every taxpayer and citizen in this nation: We have fought for everybody else’s equal rights. It’s our time to have wage equality once and for all and equal rights.” – Patricia Arquette, winner of best supporting actress for Boyhood.

“I read an article that said that winning an Oscar could lead to living five years longer. If that’s true, I’d like to thank the Academy because my husband is younger than me.” — Julianne Moore, winner of best actress for Still Alice.

“Recently, John and I got to go to Selma and perform Glory on the same bridge that Dr King and the people of the civil rights movement marched on, 50 years ago. This bridge was once a landmark of a divided nation, but now is a symbol for change. The spirit of this bridge transcends race, gender, religion, sexual orientation and social status. The spirit of this bridge connects the kid from the south side of Chicago, dreaming of a better life, to those in France standing up for their freedom of expression, to the people in Hong Kong protesting for democracy. This bridge was built on hope, welded with compassion and elevated by love for all human beings. – Lonnie Lynn (Common), winner of best song for Selma’s Glory, with John Stephens (John Legend).

“When I was 16 years old I tried to kill myself because I felt different and that I didn’t belong. And now I’m standing here, and so I would like this moment to be for this kid out there who feels like she’s weird or she’s different or she doesn’t fit in anywhere. Yes, you do. I promise you do. Stay weird, stay different and then, when it’s your turn, and you are standing on this stage, please pass the same message to the next person who comes along.” – Graham Moore, winner of best adapted screenplay for The Imitation Game.

“Oh wrap up… And to my Polish friends who are in front of the TV, the crew who were in trenches with us and who are totally drunk now, you are fantastic, you were brilliant you carried me through this film and you are what I love about Poland, you are resilient, courageous, brave and funny. And you can take a drink.” – Paweł Pawlikowski accepting the Oscar for Ida, winner of best foreign language film, talking through and over the orchestra.

Wrapping up with Eddie Redmayne’s adorable winning speech. We all loved him in his blue tuxedo.  And what a genuine reaction!

“(This Oscar) belongs to one exceptional family, Stephen, Jane, Jonathan and the Hawking children. I will be the custodian and I will promise to look after him and answer his beck and call and wait on him hand and foot. (…) I also just want to thank my family and my wife Hannah – I love you so much. We’ve got a new fella coming to share our apartment!” – Eddie Redmayne, winner of best actor for The Theory of Everything.

Also, a mention for Lady Gaga, who performed an outstanding medley from Julie Andrews musical “The Sound of Music”, which is set to celebrate its 50th anniversary next month. Bravo!

All photos taken from http://oscar.go.com

Claudia Romeo

City London

Multi-tasked storyteller studying Journalism at City University London. Italian born with the innate gift of loving pasta. Currently managing to balance the crush on my hair with the love for 11 men passing a ball on a green pitch. Cannot leave the house without make-up.