Back to Uni, Back to Everyday Life

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at City London chapter.

New year. New term. Same Uni. Ready to start again?

Going back to class after Christmas break is one of the most famous punishments for a university student, but let’s try to find the bright side of the coin so as not to get too depressed.

Class means that we get to see our mates again, ready to talk about all of the amazing Christmas gifts we received and all of the incredible things we did back home with our friends. Then, there are the Saddller’s parties. C’mon, who doesn’t like those weird, funny Wednesday nights when you can dress up as a carrot or in a rabbit suit (bear in mind that Carnival is coming) without people glancing at you, thinking you are a freak (or maybe they do it, but they don’t let you feel it)?

And then sometimes, it just feels good to go back to your routine, find yourself something to do and keep your mind busy. Plus, we are at the beginning of February, and days are starting to be longer; in a few time, we’ll probably find ourselves walking at Hyde Park on a sunny, bright day.

Oh, don’t forget that it’s nearly election time! If you feel you are a good leader, ready to take his/her responsibilities, or you just want to do something useful for your beloved Uni, then your time has come. Nomination closes on the 14th February, and voting days will be from the 24th to 27th February. Take up the challenge, for, as our current SU President Giulio says, “it can be the chance of a lifetime.”

The one thing that is worrying me about going back to uni is trying to get my uni work done. I work a lot better back in my hometown of Derby than I do in London. I know exactly why this is. It is because I want to go out and explore London. There is so much in London I have not yet done or have yet to do! So my plan for this term is to do a studying timetable. I bet that sounds completely silly, but then I can have my weekends to myself to go out and do what I want to do and visit all of the places I want to visit.

The other thing I know I will find hard about going back to uni is leaving my family again! I will have been home five weeks by the time I go back, and it will be just like moving out again. However, I have a good network of friends at uni, and I am missing them like crazy. This is making the thought of going back to uni a lot easier for me. 

Irreverent journalist, creative head of Ciao Mamma!, polyglot writer and curious filmmaker. Originally from Italy, I made my way to the big city to follow my dream of becoming a reporter. I love art, politics, frogs and halloumi. Check out my website: www.ciaomamma.it Connect on LinkedIn: uk.linkedin.com/in/martinaandretta/