This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at City London chapter.

Autumn has started just a couple of weeks ago and we all know what that means. No more summer parties and beach holidays, time to pack away the summers dresses and pull out the woolly jumpers. However, that doesn’t mean that you have to lock yourselves indoors, ladies! The film award season starts in the New Year, and that’s exactly why during the autumn and winter months the best movie releases take place. This year isn’t different, so get ready to go to the cinema!

Check out our list of the best movies to cheer up your winter blues.

• Gone Girl  

The hype around this film has been immense and unless you’ve been living under a rock, it would have certainly piqued your interest. Based on the best selling novel by Gillian Flynn, the story is about Amy and Nick, whose marriage is floundering for different reasons. Then Amy disappears and Nick becomes the prime suspect in the investigation… Directed by the master of drama David Fincher and starring Ben Affleck and Rosamund Pike in the two leading roles, this film will surely be a nerve-shredding thriller not to be missed. Release Date: 2nd October 

• The Hunger Games: Mockingjay – Part 1 

Katniss & co return to our screens in the first instalment of what is certain to be an epic conclusion to the Hunger Games series. This time around Katniss has lost everything: her home, her lover and even her grip on reality. She has to fight alongside a rebel army to save what remains of Panem and promotional material suggests that audiences will be in for the ride of their lives.Release Date: 21st November

• Interstellar

Christopher Nolan is back with an all-star cast of actors including Matthew McConaughey, Jessica Chastain, Anne Hathaway and Michael Caine. This time he explores the topic of time travel: when a wormhole is found in space a team of astronauts and scientists decide to take a leap of faith and explore it – without being fully aware of the consequences it may have upon their lives and the planet. You only need to watch the chilling trailers to see that this is definitely the next sci-fi epic. Release date: 7th November

• The Judge

After a summer of blockbusters it’s refreshing to see a character-driven film on the big screen. The Judge is about a son who returns to his hometown when his father is accused of murder.  Sounds simple? Not so much when the father and son have been estranged with many years of history between them. Starring Robert Downey Jr, Vera Farmiga, Robert Duvall and Leighton Meester, this film is the first to be produced by Team Downey – the production company that Robert Downey Jr set up with his wife.

• Exodus: Gods and Kings

Visionary director Ridley Scott’s latest offering is a retelling of the biblical story of Moses. Everyone is familiar with the story of Moses, trying to free the Egyptians Hebrews from oppression and provoking the plagues after Ramses denies to let his people go. However, Scott has used the latest visual effects and 3D technology to inject new life into the story and the outcome is an extraordinary visual feast.Release date: 26th December

• The Theory of Everything  

It was only a matter of time before someone made a film about one of the greatest minds of our generation, Stephen Hawking. A biopic that centres around his marriage with Jane, his studies and the onset of his motor neurone diseases. This is a compelling and beautiful story that is guaranteed to have you reaching for the tissues. Eddie Redmayne and Felicity Jones, both amazing actors in their own right, play the lead characters so be sure to head to the cinema when the film hits the screens! Release Date: 1st January