5 Things You Shouldn’t Do On a Hike

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at City London chapter.

Going on a hike is an experience you have to make at least once in a lifetime. Still, this doesn’t mean that you have to go unprepared: here’s my top 5 things you shouldn’t do to come back in one piece from on a hike. 1) Don’t multi-task: some of us are amazing multi-taskers, but I’d leave this skill to non-threatening situations. Fjords, hills, mountains are generally very steep, full of rocks and waterfalls. So don’t walk AND take pictures. Don’t walk AND enjoy the view. Don’t even think: thinking is dangerous. Just look down on your feet to make sure you are putting them in the right places.

2) Don’t wear heels: ha-ha, you’ll say. Who wears heels on a two-hour hike up a fjord in Norway, with water streams, mud, steep rocks and all the courtesies provided by mother nature? The answer is simple: tourists. I have seen them.

3) Don’t suit up: ha-ha, again. Well, I have seen that too: a full-on Barney Stinson style fan with a suit and elegant shoes trying to reach the top of the Pulpit Rock. All I can think is WHY? Wear the right gear if you’re not suicidal.

4) Don’t think big: think very small. In fact, think baby steps. If you’re about to go on a four-hour hike up a terribly steep hill, don’t start thinking: “I’m about to go on a four-hour hike up a terribly steep hill.” Set yourself small tasks: rock by rock, hill by hill. Or you’ll lose the will to live.

5) Don’t challenge the weather: dress up accordingly and be prepared, because the weather could change quickly. Layer up and don’t hike in the first place if snows/rains too much. 

Apart from all these big no-nos, going on a hike is just breath-taking. Don’t miss it! 

Carolina Are

City London

I am an Italian BA Journalism student at City University. I like Alice Cooper, American Psycho and cupcakes. Follow me on @carolina_are