Underrated Movies I Think Everyone Needs to Watch

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Cincinnati chapter.

Anastasia (1997)

Fantasy/Musical | Rated G

Synopsis: “The evil wizard Rasputin puts a hex on the royal Romanovs and young Anastasia disappears when their palace is overrun. Years later, the Grand Duchess offers a reward for Anastasia’s return. Two scheming Russians, planning to pawn off a phony, hold auditions and choose an orphan girl with remarkable resemblance to the missing princess. They bring her to Paris for the reward, not knowing she’s the real Anastasia.”

Along with having amazing cinematography for an animated movie, Anastasia is a movie about adventure, discovering yourself, and has a touch of romance.

Bullet Train (2022)

Action/Comedy | Rated R

Synopsis: “Ladybug is an unlucky assassin who’s determined to do his job peacefully after one too many gigs have gone off the rails. Fate, however, may have other plans as his latest mission puts him on a collision course with lethal adversaries from around the globe — all with connected yet conflicting objectives — on the world’s fastest train.”

This hilarious action movie will keep you on your toes. With so many twists and turns Bullet Train will continue to shock you.

[Trigger Warning: violence & gore]

Miss Congeniality (2000)

Action/Comedy | Rated PG-13

Synopsis: “When a terrorist threatens to bomb the Miss United States pageant, the FBI rushes to find a female agent to go undercover as a contestant. Unfortunately, Gracie is the only female FBI agent who can ‘look the part’ despite her complete lack of refinement and femininity. She prides herself in being ‘just one of the boys’ and is horrified at the idea of becoming a girly girl.”

This 2000s movie starring Sandra Bullock is a classic action-comedy movie that has everything from a fabulous makeover scene to a budding love story. If you still can’t get enough after watching, Miss Congeniality 2: Armed and Fabulous (2005) is the sequel and it explores a new conflict that is just as good as the first.

The Menu (2022)

Horror | Rated R

Synopsis: “A young couple travels to a remote island to eat at an exclusive restaurant where the chef has prepared a lavish menu, with some shocking surprises.”

It’s best to go into this satirical horror movie with minimal knowledge and expectations. With this movie, even knowing the ending cannot save you from feeling surprised as it will leave you thinking for days.

[Trigger Warnings: prevalent violence & gore, suicide]

The Proposal (2009)

Romance/Comedy | Rated PG-13

Synopsis: “Faced with deportation to her native Canada, high-powered book editor Margaret Tate says she’s engaged to marry Andrew Paxton, her hapless assistant. Andrew agrees to the charade, but imposes a few conditions of his own, including flying to Alaska to meet his eccentric family. With a suspicious immigration official always lurking nearby, Margaret and Andrew must stick to their wedding plan despite numerous mishaps.”

When Sandra Bullock and Ryan Reynolds star in a fake dating, marriage of convenience rom-com together, you know it’s going to become a fan-favorite. Along with co-star Betty White adding numerous comedic additions to the already entertaining movie. If you don’t like romance, watch it for the comedy because there’s plenty of it.

Shutter Island (2010)

Thriller/Mystery | Rated R

Synopsis: “The implausible escape of a brilliant murderess brings U.S. Marshal Teddy Daniels and his new partner to Ashecliffe Hospital, a fortress-like insane asylum located on a remote, windswept island. The woman appears to have vanished from a locked room, and there are hints of terrible deeds committed within the hospital walls. As the investigation deepens, Teddy realized he will have to confront his own dark fears if he hopes to make it off the island alive.”

Another great movie to just dive into with no knowledge of what’s going to happen, as all will be revealed in the plot. This thriller/mystery, starring Leonardo DiCaprio, will leave you stunned after watching and you’ll think about the movie for days afterwards.

[Trigger Warnings: violence & gore, WWII related warfare, child-loss, murder]

Ashley Barnes

Cincinnati '26

Ashley is a second-year Communications student at the University of Cincinnati, also studying a minor in Spanish and certificates in Business Spanish and Sport Media and Promotion. Ashley loves traveling, watching movies, volunteering at the animal shelter, sports and hanging out with friends.