Tips to Avoid Getting Locked Out of Your Apartment

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Cincinnati chapter.

I constantly lose my keys. I put them in the weirdest places and have spent far too much time retracing my steps to try to find them. I probably text my roommates at least twice a week asking where they are so I can get their keys from them. It has become an ongoing joke with my roommates about how often I get locked out. I once had to sit outside my apartment at 8am when it was raining waiting for one of my roommates to wake me up so I could get in. But despite all of this, I kept forgetting my keys. However, after getting locked out two days in a row, I decided it was time for a change.

Here are my tips to avoid losing your keys and getting locked out of your apartment!

1. Make sure you always put your keys in the same place when you get back.

My biggest problem with losing my keys is that I would put them in the pockets of the jackets I was wearing. I would have no idea where they were and would spend far too much time trying to retrace my steps. I would recommend buying a key rack or having a designated place in either your room or your kitchen!

1. Communicate with your roommates when you do not bring your key with you!

So often, I have left my key and not told my roommates. This has a 100% guarantee of getting locked out. However, when I tell my roommates that I do not have my key with me, they often leave the door unlocked OR lend me their key!

1. Double check to see if you have your key before you leave the house!

I cannot tell you the amount of times that I have left my apartment thinking I had my keys in my backpack. As you can probably tell from the theme of this article, most times I did not have them in my backpack. From someone who is always running late, I know that this can be time-consuming but this way you know that you will not get locked out of your apartment!

1. If you actually lose your keys and cannot find them, make a spare!

ACE Hardware and other stores have ways for you to make spare keys for fairly inexpensive! Making a couple spare keys and keeping them in a drawer could definitely come in handy if you lose your key!

1. Pick roommates who accept you despite how often you lose your keys.

Shout out to the world’s best roommates!! I hope these tips have been helpful so you can avoid getting locked out of your house or apartment!

Maddie Huggins is a fourth year student at the University of Cincinnati. Originally from Columbus, she quickly learned to swap out the OSU scarlet and grey for UC red and black. Maddie has loved writing since she was a little girl and is always down for a good time. She prides herself in being the world's best hugger.