This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Cincinnati chapter.

As a student-athlete, you are presented with endless opportunities in the classroom and on the court but not necessarily other campus involvement. When your schedule consists of taking 15 credit hours and practicing for 20 or more hours along with studying and attending class and trying to find time to have a social life, it seems almost impossible that you can get involved on campus as well. Student Athlete Advisory Committee President Nathan Anderson shares that this is in fact not impossible, “Being a student-athlete is a huge time demand but sometimes you need a little break and need something else to do to take your mind off of your respected sport. I think it takes a lot of time management to balance it all but at the end of the day it’s about promoting UC and making the students and our campus the best that it can be.” Anderson juggles not only being SAAC President but also on the varsity swim team, Vice President of Forever Bearcats, and a member of Pi Kappa Alpha.

Image by: http://www.gobearcats.com/genrel/111815aab.html

Athletics is a small community on campus when you look at the numbers. Only about 550 students out of the 40,000 some at The University of Cincinnati, this number is only a small fraction. However, the influence this department has is exponential to the success of the overall university. Student-athletes have some of the best school spirit on campus because it’s where we dedicate a great deal of our college experience. When we encourage student-athletes to get involved, it immerses the different communities on campus into one. “Even though student-athletes are represented in small numbers, we are still a big population on campus with a large voice,” explains Anderson, “Keeping the student-athletes involved with what is going on at UC only betters the university and creates more of an environment that is open to everyone.”

Image by: http://sportsismorethanagame.com/resources/student-athletes/#PrettyPhoto…

With over 500 student organizations, one community in particular tends to spark student-athlete interest. Greek life is an incredible way of getting involved on campus and also shows interest to student-athlete involvement. One fraternity in particular, Pi Kappa Alpha, strongly encourages student-athletes to get involved with their community. “For us, we look at it kind of two-folds. We love having student-athlete representation in our chapter because it allows us to have a little more investment in athletics. We wouldn’t typically have as much motivation to go to a soccer game or a track meet but when we have brothers that are actually competing, then there is that hidden incentive that we would go and support them,” shares President of Pi Kappa Alpha, Nick Partie. In fact, our athletic director, Mike Bohn, was initiated into the Pi Kappa Alpha chapter last spring. “It is tangible evidence that we are truly committed to athletics,” ensures Partie, “With Mike Bohn being on board, it shows the athletic department that Greek life wants to support athletics and the ‘OneTeam’ motto by getting more people at events.”

Image by: Pi Kappa Alpha

Not only fraternities but also sororities are staring to reach out. Female-athletes need to be recognized for their dedication as well. Varsity tennis player and member of Delta Delta Delta Sorority, Lauren Bellinger approves, “We are lucky because our university welcomes student-athletes to Greek life and are willing to work with their schedules so they are able to join the fraternity and sorority of their choice.” The experience a student-athlete can attain from Greek life is just as valuable as other campus organizations. It involved a great deal of networking. “Greek life has brought me so many opportunities that will help me when I graduate. I do believe there are benefits of being in a sorority and a student-athlete. Over the course of my time in Tridelt, I have been able to network myself in both the Greek and athletic community which has helped me socially and professionally,” agrees Bellinger.    

Pi Kappa Alpha is not only encouraging student-athletes to get involved but also recognizing them. The “Mike Bohn Leadership Award” was creating to recognize anyone involved with athletics in addition to Greek life. “With the Mike Bohn Leadership Award, we are presenting that to him on Friday,” agrees Partie, “It essentially bridges another gap we have on campus because there are so many solid communities; it just breaks some of those barriers.” Partie reports that student-athletes in Pi Kappa Alpha include Nathan Anderson, Chad Banschbach, Shaun Berry, Frank Bruscianelli, Alex Gill, Ryan Greene, Nate Jackowski, Ryan Leahy, Hayden Moore, Jasshir Morris, Joe Ratterman, Matt Rosen, and Nick Weaver.

Image by: Pi Kappa Alpha

All gentlemen but one in particular stands out. Hayden Moore has had much success on and off the field this year. “Hayden Moore is a perfect example. You get him out there and he is proof that he is clean-cut, gets great grades, he is a stand-up individual, he has a lot of respect for women. He’s the type of guy we like to recruit,” shares Partie. The feeling is mutual to one of Cincinnati Football’s Quarterbacks. “I do think I bring something different to the table than my brothers,” admits Moore, “I’m hoping that I can represent my fraternity well and be a good example for everyone.” Partie reasons, “It shows that while he is out there on the field doing amazing things for the university, it gives us the pride that he is one of our brothers. It also shows to other people that you can be an athlete and still be involved in Greek life. He’s [Moore] just a perfect example of that. It helps us get excited about athletics but it also helps us for recruitment to show people that we have guys in every aspect of campus whether on the filed, in the classroom, the job, you name it.” 

Getting involved with Greek life actually can bring about different conversation to students and student-athletes alike. “I don’t think I am able to bring anything different to Tridelt, if anything, they are able to provide me with something different,” stated Bellinger, “I am so used to having tennis control my life. It is nice to have something else for me to focus on. Tridelt has allowed me to grow within the university in something other than tennis.”

Image by: http://www.gobearcats.com/sports/academics/spec-rel/121314aac.html

With Greek-life recognizing student-athletes can make an awesome influence in their communities, what can we do to expand this to all student organizations? How can we make a community that sometimes seems untouchable, more tangible and relevant to UC?

I think the answer is fairly simple. Our university’s motto is Juncta Juvant, which means “Strength in Unity.” Our numbers are stronger as one. “I think that having student-athletes involved on campus gets another area of campus involved, agrees Anderson, “When people think about universities, one of the first things they think about is how good their football program is or how good their basketball program is. If those student-athletes can get out not only in the UC community but also in the Cincinnati community in general, that strengthens the purpose that all of these student groups are trying to fight for; unity.” Student-athletes may be a vastly small number within our student body but they do represent The University of Cincinnati on a national stage and have a unique experience to share. Moore confirms, “I believe being involved on campus can give a good rep for all student-athletes and show the other students that we aren’t just here for sports.”    

I challenge both student-athletes and student organizations alike to reach out and recognize the incredible talents both have to share. Put that together and I can only imagine what amazing things The University of Cincinnati will gain from it.    

Emma Gresser

Cincinnati

Emma is a junior at The University of Cincinnati and is studying Communication with Public Relations and Journalism. She has a passion for expressing creativity through words and is extremely excited to be a part of the HerCampus Cincinnati chapter!