Stronger Together:” UC Students Show Solidarity After Presidential Election

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Cincinnati chapter.

In the wake of Donald Trump’s presidential win, students at the University of Cincinnati displayed messages of love to show solidarity after the end of a long campaign that polarized the nation.

A group of student demonstrators at McMicken Commons. Left to right: Claire Wood, Danny Fey, Christian Haggins, McKenzie Hill, Madeline Howard.

Students held posters reading “Love trumps hate,” a popular slogan from Hillary Clinton’s presidential campaign. Homemade signs displayed messages like “love is real.” “Let us have faith in each other. Let us not grow weary,” a quote from Clinton’s concession speech, was followed by “There is work to do” on another.

The ultimatum of this election marks a time of fear for those who did not support Trump’s campaign but these students are a powerful example of the force of love in a time of despair and hostility.

Trump’s win follows a long campaign run on what has been called sentiments of hate. (Such as, but not limited to, bragging about sexual assault, making slanderous and usually xenophobic remarks against practically every ethnic minority in the United States, calling for punishment for abortion  and choosing a running mate who supports conversion therapy.) He has been supported by Vladimir Putin, members of the Ku Klux Klan and has even been likened to Adolf Hitler.

“The rhetoric that Donald Trump is using in his campaign is very dangerous and I think it’s very dangerous for our country because it divides it,” said Christian Haggins, a first-year political science major. “We don’t want to argue with people, we just wanted to show that love is still prevalent.”

Students expressed their support for marginalized people such as the LGBTQ+ community and racial minorities that may be especially negatively affected by Trump’s impending presidency. Fears of Trump in the Oval Office are all too real for those who opposed him. With issues on the table concerning citizenship, deportation, police brutality, gun violence, marriage equality, reproductive rights, and healthcare, there is much at stake and fear is rampant among people who have the most to lose.

“End white supremacy. Stop the violence. Ditch your [sic] privilege.” 

“We’re really here to show support today because a lot of people are hurting and scared of what’s coming. We’re out here to say look, we see you, we’re here for you, and we hope you join us in standing up for what’s right,” said McKenzie Hill, one of the demonstrators.

Regardless of political affiliation or moral ideology, Claire Wood, a fashion design student had a word of advice to strengthen our communities. “Try and be the best person that you can be to people. Try and make sure other people are okay.”

“Come together, because we’re stronger together.”

Morgan is a third-year student at the University of Cincinnati studying Magazine Journalism. She's a big, big fan of paper-in-your-hand print publications and wishes AP style allowed the oxford comma. 
Maddie Huggins is a fourth year student at the University of Cincinnati. Originally from Columbus, she quickly learned to swap out the OSU scarlet and grey for UC red and black. Maddie has loved writing since she was a little girl and is always down for a good time. She prides herself in being the world's best hugger.