Sitcoms To Cure Your Spring Semester Slump

Updated Published
This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Cincinnati chapter.

It’s always around the beginning of spring that I begin to feel a little burned out. I’m not sure if it’s the deranged highs and lows of the Midwest weather, or the strain of second semester weighing on my shoulders, but the beginning of spring always leaves me feeling lethargic. One of my favorite ways to unwind my mind is by plopping myself in front of the TV and watching a good sitcom.

Here are 5 sitcoms that I binge-watch to help cure my college burnout. . .

Modern Family (2009-2020) [Hulu]

This mockumentary-style sitcom is a heartwarming family show that follows the chaotic life of the Pritchett-Dunphy family. Modern Family portrays the real, often disorderly and hilarious, realities of family life. With iconic actors like Ty Burrell, Ed O’Neil, Sofía Vergara, and Julie Bowen, the atmosphere of the show feels as if you’re stepping right into the Pritchett-Dunphy household. I love this show for its ensemble of characters: from Lilly’s sassy attitude to Manny’s love of over-the-top romance, to Phil’s affinity for beginner magic, each character brings something hilariously special to the table. While watching Modern Family it’s easy to leave the stress of the real world behind and fall into the amusing chaos of the Pritchett-Dunphy family

Arrested Development (2003-2019) [Netflix]

Similar to Modern Family and its ensemble of eccentric characters, Arrested Development focuses on the life of Michael Bluth (played by the iconic Jason Bateman) and his offbeat family. Michael’s family company is in shambles after their father George Bluth Sr. (Jeffrey Tambor) is caught illegally building model homes in Iraq (a continuous joke throughout the series). My favorite part of this show is the writer’s creative use of wordplay. For example, Buster Bluth (Tony Hale) is bitten by a “loose seal,” a play on his over-bearing mother’s name, “Lucille” (Jessica Walter), or the name of the name of family lawyer— “Bob Loblaw”. No matter how stressed you feel there is nothing better than turning on the television and watching a young Michael Cera (who plays George-Michael Bluth) witness the chaotic mess that is the Bluth family. The incredible writers and cast truly make Arrested Development worth watching. 

What We Do in The Shadows (2019-Current) [Hulu]

What We Do in The Shadows is one of the most creative sitcoms I’ve ever seen. This mockumentary-style comedy follows the life of four vampires—Nandor (Kayvan Novak), Nadja (Natasia Demetriou), Lazlo (Matt Berry), and “energy vampire” Collin Robinson (Mark Proksch)—along with their caretaker/familiar Guillermo (Harvey Guillén). The show follows the unusual life of a vampire household and explores the ins and outs of Guillermo’s job. The cast does an excellent job of bringing these unconventional characters to life; with the use of accents, costumes, and aside facial expressions, the cast never fails to make every scene absolutely hilarious. My personal favorite part of this show is the relationship between Nadja (Natasia Demetriou) and her husband Lazlo (Matt Berry). From assuming a new identity as a cowboy to hunting down past lovers, this couple is always so entertaining to watch. Besides, Natasia Demetriou’s facial comedy always cracks me up.

Schitt’s Creek (2015-2020) [Hulu]

Schitt’s Creek follows the story of the once-fabulously rich Rose family. Johnny Rose (Eugene Levy) and his family (Moira [Catherine O’Hara], David [Dan Levy], and Alexis [Annie Murphy]) are forced to travel to the town of Schitt’s Creek and live in the town’s shabby motel. As the family accommodates to the new lifestyle, the audience is introduced to the residents of Schitt’s Creeks: including the rather empty-minded mayor, Roland Schitt (Chris Elliot), the disinterested hotel manager, Stevie Budd (Emily Hampshire), and the sweet but senseless mayoress, Jocelyn Schitt (Jennifer Robertson). The show’s humor is based on the family’s inability to assimilate with the culture of Schitt’s Creek—like Alexis’s iconic but outrageous outfits, Moria’s obsession with her wigs, or David’s “vacation” to the Amish community.

Derry Girls (2018-2022) [Netflix]

Derry Girls is one of the most iconic sitcoms of the 21st century. Set in Northern Ireland in the 1990s the show follows the life of four Irish catholic schoolgirls: Erin Quinn (Saoirse-Monica Jackson), Orla McCool (Louisa Harland), Michelle Mallon (Jamie-Lee O’Donnell), Clare Devlin (Nichola Coughlan [yes, the same actress that plays Penelope Featherington in Netflix’s hit show Bridgerton!]) and their English friend, James (Dylan Llewellyn). The comedy in Derry Girls is centered on the trials of teenage life. The girls (plus James) must navigate overbearing parents, snarky nuns, and the pitfalls of high school boys. This show uses the character’s naïveté as a setup for the chaotic plotlines—like when Erin convinces the whole town that her dead dog has been resurrected, or when James accidentally eats a bag of chips stolen from a crazed robber—and the cast is quick to whip out witty lines to correspond with these disastrous situations. I found myself feeling oddly emotional during this series as I realized the show follows the growth of four amazing teenage friends. Derry Girls is more than a sitcom, it’s the nostalgic tale of friendship in a time of unrest—it represents the hope that lies in the future.

Madeline Schrand

Cincinnati '25

Madeline is an English student at the University of Cincinnati. She is passionate about all things books, music, and feminism. Her work has been displayed in the Cincinnati Short Vine. She is also apart of the Cincinnati Writers Circle and UC Choruses. Connect with Madeline through Instagram @maddie_schr