Sasha Colby: RuPaul’s First Trans Drag Superstar 

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Cincinnati chapter.

Sasha Colby began her illustrious career as a former Miss Continental winner back in 2012 but quickly transitioned into being one of the star contestants of RuPaul’s Drag Race season 15. Since her claim to fame on the show, Colby has been the embodiment of the queer community and is seen by many as a “mother” of sorts. She is regarded not only for being a total fashionista, but also for being a beacon of hope for all members of the LGBTQ+ community, especially for the T part of the acronym.  

While Sasha Colby is an openly queer icon now, she wasn’t as accepted before the Drag Race. Colby grew up in Waimānalo, Hawaii, where she was raised in a religious-oriented home. Her family was a part of Jehovah’s Witnesses, who believed being gay is a sin. However, Colby did not let this oppressive ideology impede her world domination, boldly saying “I thank Jehovah every day that I’m queer!”

After leaving Hawaii, Colby began to compete for Miss Congeniality in Los Angeles as her first outlet into pageantry. She was well-known for her talent as a dancer and a live performer, however, fans of the show wondered how she would perform in other aspects of Drag Race such as fashion design and acting. Unsurprisingly, Colby not only stole the hearts of the judges panel but was also deemed as “every drag queen’s favorite drag queen”. 

Even though being crowned America’s Next Drag Superstar has its perks, such as the $200,000 cash prize, it also comes with Sasha Colby’s personal burden of being the first trans woman to win in a regular season. Unfortunately, in this political climate of a public drag ban being passed in Tennessee and anti-trans laws going into effect in conservative states across the country, being a trans woman in the spotlight can be especially dangerous. Nevertheless, Colby has taken all the publicity with grace and seizes the opportunity for activism. “I think trans personalities, trans celebrities, people who are in the spotlight and happen to be trans, our lot in life is kind of to be the teacher, to be the activist,” Colby says after her win in an interview with Vogue.  

With this victory for trans people across the country, queer activists are staying positive about a safe and supportive future for all LGBTQ+ members. Because of her paramount presence on RuPaul’s show, Sasha Colby has illuminated the possibility of success for anyone, regardless of their differences.  

Gracie Dillon

Cincinnati '27

Hi, my name is Gracie and I am a freshman at the University of Cincinnati! I am double-majoring in Journalism and English. In my free time I can be found freelance writing, reading a new book, playing video games, working at a coffee shop, or hanging out with my friends. I am excited for this new opportunity to be published on a larger scale :)