The Return of the Vest

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Cincinnati chapter.

The time of year has come when vests make their debut. Fall weather has officially hit Cincinnati and a great way to keep warm while also looking stylish is by utilizing this trend! Not only are they a great layering piece, but there are also so many different styles to choose from—and who doesn’t love variety?!

First, let’s start with the puffer vest. This style is typically the more casual way to rock this trend. But when choosing the right pieces to go with it, you can easily take your outfit from 0-10!

Above we see the puffer vest styled two different ways. Mixing textures and prints really brings a look together, so when looking around in your own closet, don’t be afraid to have fun with it! Add a scarf or a necklace to take the puffer vest trend and make it your own!

Another fun way to wear the vest trend is trying out the military inspired/utility vest. The army green color is perfect for fall and, in my opinion, is a neutral that can virtually be paired with any color and still look fabulous! Below you can see this trend styled multiple different ways. All incorporate color as well as different prints, which brings dimension and makes it unique! Be sure to try the vest with chunky sweaters and chambray shirts as well.

Last but not least, the fancier way to wear this trend is with the faux fur vest. This look is great for all occasions, whether it be a causal daytime look or a dressier ensemble for a night out! The downfall: it is a piece that can be tricky, because it can occasionally come off a bit tacky if not paired with the right pieces. When styling this, it is best to let the vest be the star piece of your outfit. Wearing mostly neutrals helps to achieve this: the goal is to choose pieces that compliment the vest but do not overpower it. Seen below are two classic ways to style the faux fur vest. We can see in both photos that neutrals help to play up the vest and let it take center stage.

One of my favorite ways to wear this trend is with a neutral colored flannel, dark jeans, a dark lip and black combat boots!

These are only a few ways to style vests for the fall season. The possibilities are endless—be confident in your look and you are guaranteed to rock the trend! What are some of your favorite ways to wear the vest? We’d love to see your fall style! Tag your photos with #vestseason for a chance to be featured in our Fall Look Book!

Maddie Huggins is a fourth year student at the University of Cincinnati. Originally from Columbus, she quickly learned to swap out the OSU scarlet and grey for UC red and black. Maddie has loved writing since she was a little girl and is always down for a good time. She prides herself in being the world's best hugger.