Mike Bohn and the “Seismic Transformation”

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Cincinnati chapter.

This week, Her Campus Cincinnati had the opportunity to sit down with The University of Cincinnati’s Director of Athletics, Mike Bohn. Read on to learn about the tremendous vision he has for our university, athletic department and community as a whole. 

Image by UC Athletics

Name: Mike Bohn

Title: The University of Cincinnati Director of Athletics

Previous: University of Colorado, San Diego State University, University of Idaho, Colorado State University, College Football Association, Air Force Academy

Alma Mater: University of Kansas 1983 (football and baseball)/ Ohio University 1984

HerCampus Cincinnati: How has the UC Athletic Department improved the experience for student-athletes in your tenure?

Mike Bohn: It starts with commitment. Our commitment to all of our student-athletes and their experience has never been higher. Obviously our commitment to cost of attendance, our commitment to our facility upgrades, to our “OneTeam” philosophy associated with the department of everybody working together and it has even expanded into our two-time defending, world champion dance team and our spirit squads and what they represent; their hard work and the fact that they are a part of the heartbeat of the program too. So, when you are talking about marketing, branding and initiatives to support all 19 sports are one that we are proud of and one that we believe is a clear demonstration of our commitment to all teams.

Image by UC Athletics

HCC: As the football season has gone on, the “Ruckus” has created a bit of a ruckus, so to say, throughout campus. Are you impressed with the involvement students have reached out for in athletics this year?

MB: I had the opportunity yesterday to talk publically about how proud I was of the ‘Ruckus’ and first of all, I love their logo because it represents a heartbeat. Our students are the heartbeat; our student-athletes are students on campus so they certainly are a part of that heartbeat and what they represent which is critically associated with any viral intercollegiate athletic program. The students are the heartbeat and when I see them handle themselves the way they have in challenging situations like major weather challenges associated with our home opener to exemplary sportsmanship at the Miami Florida game is inspiring to me and it should be to all of our fans and all those who watch the quality of young people that we have at this university and what they represent. You go one step further into the marching band. Who are they? They are all students and what they represent in their passion, their hard work and so I think that’s back to the “OneTeam” concept; all those people working together, representing the heartbeat of the university.

HCC: So would you agree that the “OneTeam” motto is not only for athletics but also for the university?  

MB: There’s no question. I think highly of Dr. Santa Ono and his expectations of how everybody can collaborate together. I believe the teamwork on campus is very successful, very alive, very active and one that I am proud to be a part of. Athletics is not the most important part here but it’s a part of a four-legged stool along with our medical efforts, our research and obviously our education. A four-legged stool is one that is pretty sturdy and we are proud to be a part of that.

Image by UC Athletics

HCC: Are there areas that you think we can improve upon as a student body for our athletic department?

MB: Allowing our students to have the opportunity to see all of our sports to perform more would be a terrific opportunity. That is why we announced this year the “Experience UC.” This is an opportunity to bring any guests they want; a friend, a girlfriend, a boyfriend, a partner, a spouse, friends, visiting family members or visiting friends, to come to any sporting event, other than football, men’s basketball and some baseball games as our guest. We want them to experience what is going on at UC. We want them to see our awesome student-athletes, we want them to see the fun involved with it, and we want them to see also what is happening on campus. The initiative is titled “Experience UC.” Come to campus, experience UC through athletics as a rallying point for people to get together and have some fun and see our awesome architecture and the national rankings of all of our programs on campus. That is our initiative to support our entire teamwork that is happening on campus because when people come to UC and they see what’s happening on Short Vine and they see what is happening on Calhoun and they see what’s going on in the greater area, they recognize the seismic transformation that we talk about. The best way to understand it is to experience it. “Experience UC” is one that we are very, very proud of and we encourage people, particularly our students, to grab friends and colleagues and bring them to games.

Image by UC Athletics

HCC: You do state the term “seismic transformation” quite often and students around campus have picked up on it. What does a “seismic transformation” mean to you?

MB: It certainly actuates into our teamwork. I think you have to think of when you throw a rock into the water and you see the ripples come out from it and touch so many different parts of the lake or the pond or the pool. That’s where you begin to see whether it’s a new dorm being built, a new plan for a school business building, the incredible research that is done over in the medical area or on campus. All of those different pieces touch other areas on campus. Athletics is often a part that starts some ripples because of a rallying point and be able to pull it together. Yet, we are also impacted by positive ripples that come out so it is seismic, it shakes, it inspires, it encourages, it lifts, it does all those things. When I talk about ‘seismic transformation’ at a high level, it’s at a high trajectory of engagement, its one that continues to gain momentum and strength. That is why it’s seismic transformation. Everyone can say we are transforming, well because it is a seismic transformation. It’s at a different level of passion, dedication, commitment and one that is enhanced by the collaboration and teamwork that is going on on campus. That’s why it’s seismic, it’s well beyond a transformation and it’s visible and that’s why we want people to be able to come out and see it.      

Image by UC Athletics 

HCC: When you use the word “inspire” how do you think our student-athletes inspire other students at this university?      

MB: I don’t want to put too much pressure on our student-athletes. However, they are highly visible. Obviously by the gear they wear, by their television appearances that they do and by the way they compete. They are the ones who are wearing our uniform and our name on the front of their respective sports. They inspire by being model citizens, by being good students, by giving people a since of pride for people to be around them, the way they compete, how they compete, they way they competed as a team, the way they interact with the community and young people, the way they represent us through the media, the way they represent us through all the different things they are engaged with. We have student-athletes that are involved in the Greek system and we have student-athletes that are involved in all types of different volunteer initiatives. We have student-athletes that are involved in national student-athlete initiatives at the highest level. That’s why they inspire me. Our expectations are extremely high for all of them in those areas. I didn’t even mention the fact of winning or losing. You can just take a look at the wins and loss records and personal records associated with our student athletes currently and that’s a part of the seismic transformation. They are committed to helping us represent our university with pride and distinction and that is inspiring. 

Emma Gresser

Cincinnati

Emma is a junior at The University of Cincinnati and is studying Communication with Public Relations and Journalism. She has a passion for expressing creativity through words and is extremely excited to be a part of the HerCampus Cincinnati chapter!