Meet Vidita Kanniks: Campus Celebrity

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Cincinnati chapter.

Imagine getting the opportunity to dawn the same stage Beyonce herself once ~floated~ upon. UC Sophomore Vidita Kanniks doesn’t have to day-dream, because this past fall she did just that, performing at the Indian Prime Minister Modi’s address in Madison Square Garden. If you have the chance to sit and chat with this easy-going CCM student, you’ll be amazed by how down to earth she is. For someone who seems to travel overseas or to conferences across the country at the drop of a hat, you’ll discover she’d rather talk about cats and food. Making headway in the music industry both here and abroad, be sure you remember her name, because we’re sure you’ll be seeing much more from this hard-working Bearcat!

Name: Vidita Kanniks

Age: 19

Year: Sophomore

Major: CCM Voice Major, Double Degree Music Education Music History

Hometown: Born and raised in Cincinnati area, lived in India for a while, then back to Mason, OH K-12.

Her Campus: Why did you choose UC?

Vidita Kanniks: I chose CCM because of it caliber, it’s out of this world, and it’s such a diverse school and has so much to offer. I knew I was going to be exposed to so much talent and there’d be so much to learn from everyone around me.

HC: Who encouraged you to pursue music as a career?

VK: My dad. He’s a musician and so I grew up in a musical environment.  Both my parents were always very supportive. I wasn’t entirely bent on studying music until I took AP music theory my junior year in high school; that’s when I realized it wasn’t just a talent, it was a calling.

HC: What are your goals for the future? Will we be seeing more of you at Madison Square?

VK: Haha. I mean I would love to say yes to that, and hopefully I’ll have the chance to perform at other venues similar in the future. Long-term goals for me include pursuing graduate studies in ethnomusicology. I also plan to keep singing and working on more collaborative projects with other artists and possibly doing some recordings.

HC: Are there any local artists you’re working with right now?

VK: I’m working with a group called The Media on a project called CCM Collaboration. They’re a contemporary jazz pop group. We’re going to be recording live at Cohen Family Studio Theatre.

HC: What has been the most exciting moment of your music career thus far?

VK: I went to China for The World Choir Games 2010, and there were so many different ensembles from over 40 different countries. At the closing ceremony we all sang “We Are the World” together. It was one of the most magical music making moments I’ve ever had.

HC: Which artists do you draw the most inspiration from?

VK: So many. One of my idols is an Indian vocalist, Shreya Ghoshal. She is a rising star right now both in film music as well as classical. From a young age I’ve always loved Julie Andrews and Sarah Brightman.  Also Leah Michelle.

HC: What advice do you have for any aspiring musicians out there?

VK: It depends what kind of musician you are and what you want to achieve with your musicianship. If you’re looking for a big break, it’s all about hard work and being in the right place at the right time.  One thing that’s helped me is networking along with reminding myself to have confidence in my talent, and to take every opportunity that comes my way.

HC: Last question: what’s your Drunken Bento order?

VK: Deep-fried asparagus roll with spicy mayo and eel sauce. Clearly I don’t care about calories.

UC student majoring in Journalism: Magazine Writing with a minor in Arabic!
Campus Correspondent and founder of Her Campus Cincinnati. Tyasia is a 5th year Spanish & Marketing student (sadly!). Lover of all things plaid! When she's not sipping on margaritas or eating mangos, she's jet setting around the world (All time favorite place: Guatemala!) Tyasia plans to make New York City her home sweet home after graduation to pursue a International or Fashion PR career! Keep up with her on Twitter @tyjenksss