Manbuns: Love or Hate

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Cincinnati chapter.

If you take a look around UC’s campus, you may spot the infamous “manbun” here and there. Over the past few years, manbuns have become an increasingly popular hairstyle for men. I mean look at the endless Instagram accounts dedicated to the beautiful high knots such as @manbunmonday, @dailymanbuns and @manbunsofdisneyland.

Who would have ever thought that the quick and easy hairstyle that women have when rolling out of bed with under 10 minutes to get to class would become the next male phenomenon?(And shall I say…a nice looking trend!) Myself, I am a full supporter and active Instagram luster of the man-bun…thanks to men like Brock O’ Hurn and Giaro Giarratana. Frankly, I love a guy that has enough hair to pull back into that small messy bun and my personal favorite has to be the bun that is high enough to touch the sky.  

The more I thought about my great love for the man-bun, the more I wondered what other people think of this epidemic. Do they absolutely hate it or are they celebrating all things bun-a-licious? I decided to go out and ask a few of my friends about their opinions on the man-bun. I even asked one of my guy friends his thoughts on this trend.

Those who LOVE/like Manbuns

“If you ask any of my friends to describe guys that I am most attracted to, more likely than not, they’ll say he has to have a MAN-BUN! Hair was meant to grow, as is, from the beautiful scalps of men and women and the man-bun sensation that has taken root is absolutely lovely. Personally, I love the bad-a** rugged look on guys-the perfect combination includes a man-bun with a beard.  Many people may think it’s unprofessional, but that’s where they’re wrong. Albeit, I think the style looks best with bedhead waves carelessly pulled up into a bun, but I have seen many gents wear it in a more primped and primed fashion; sleeking back their flyaway hairs and it still looks good. To all the guys that may stumble upon my comment, please let that man-bun flourish! At the end of the day, I support it!” – Cayla “Yami” 

“I definitely think man-buns are one of those things that look good on some people and not great on others. I usually like my men to be a little bit more clean cut, but I can definitely appreciate a nice, full man-bun with some scruffy facial hair. But if your bun is too small, it just looks stupid.”- Rachel

“I think I love manbuns because to me, I think of a man who grow out his hair as a man who embraces both femininity and masculinity. I realize this could be wrong in some cases, but that’s how I initially see it. A man who can embrace both feminine and masculine qualities and exude man bun confidence is my kind of guy. I also just think they make men look pretty damn sexy. I have offered to buy the men in my life clip-on man buns to try on the look for size.”- Anna 

Those who HATE Manbuns

“I feel like they are just a trend right now and too many people are jumping on the train. It is just too much. I personally like men with short hair…I don’t want to date someone who’s hair is longer than mine. It’s not feminine but just whyyyyy?” – Amanda

“Well unless you’re Orlando Bloom or David Beckham, then it looks trashy most of the time. When guys sweat and they have a man bun, it looks disgusting. I feel like if I was dating a guy with one, we would have to share hair products and I don’t like that. 95% of the time when I put my hair up, it’s because it’s my “I give up look”, and I feel like guys don’t have their life together when they have man-bun. It’s such a turn off”-Hannah

“I have been growing my hair out for around 10 months now. I am a senior now, but I decided to grow my hair out I was a around freshman in college. However, I would always make it to around the one year period and then end up cutting it, because I was so annoyed by it. This year is different though and I plan on growing my hair out for at least two years total. How do the ladies feel about the long hair you ask? Well, that depends on what lady you are talking to. Normally the hippie/hipster girls are all about it, which is cool, because those are the girls I am usually ‘in’ to. However, sorority girls usually don’t want anything to do with it, especially if you are a GDI. So, you win some, you lose some. When it boils down to it I only have long hair because I think it looks tough and unique. It is because of this, that I do not rock the man bun!”- Austin

So what you do think? Cut it or let it grow? 

Campus Correspondent and founder of Her Campus Cincinnati. Tyasia is a 5th year Spanish & Marketing student (sadly!). Lover of all things plaid! When she's not sipping on margaritas or eating mangos, she's jet setting around the world (All time favorite place: Guatemala!) Tyasia plans to make New York City her home sweet home after graduation to pursue a International or Fashion PR career! Keep up with her on Twitter @tyjenksss