This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Cincinnati chapter.

The existence of Hughes STEM High School sits right off of our campus but the inside is an unknown to UC students who pass by this building that dates back to 1853.  The outside is beautiful, and I was dying to get a glimpse of the inside.  This school is an enormous building of wonderful architecture.  I was really in awe by the detail of the building, stunning gargoyles and intriguing pictures that line the building and walls, elegant lights drawing your eye down the long hallways, and beautifully crafted stairs, which lead students up the stories of this building.  While walking around I learned many things I was not aware of about this school.  Hughes is a STEM school; meaning curriculum is focused on topics students are interested in.  Falling under categories of Health Sciences, Engineering, Animal and Plant sciences, and Software Development, students are well prepared for college even before graduation.  Among my favorite things, Hughes STEM is full of history- there are fountains dispersed throughout the wings of the school dedicated to graduating classes from the school.  These small pieces of history were among my favorite parts.  On my adventure around the school, I was lucky enough to have the privilege to view the University of Cincinnati from a spot most students will never experience.  Viewing campus from the top of the Hughes High School tower is quite possibly the most breathtaking view- to your left is campus, straight ahead is the endless view of Calhoun Street, and behind, rows of campus housing that convinces you you’re not in Ohio.  As the University of Cincinnati, we are lucky to have such a historical and beautiful school such as Hughes to capture our eye and make appearances in our Instagram photos under captions like #PrettyPicMonday or #ScenicSunday.  So next time your walking home from class, take time to stop and enjoy the beauty and recognize the history this gorgeous school has to offer.