Liela Crosset: Bearcast Radio Personality

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Cincinnati chapter.

Liela Crosset is a second year Electronic Media major at the University of Cincinnati College Conservatory of Music. When it comes to being involved on campus, Liela goes above and beyond: she is a member of Chi Omega sorority where she is the social media chairman, she is the fellowship chairman of the Delta Alpha chapter of Alpha Phi Omega service fraternity, she is on the 2015 Morale Team for Cincinnati Dance Marathon, and is also a member of Bearcast Media where she hosts a radio show. Liela also loves Beyoncé, Taylor Swift, finding good local bands, and Koalas. Her Campus Cincinnati had the honor of Liela DJing our Launch Party that we hosted at the end of November!

Name: Liela Crosset

Age: 18

Year: Sophomore

Major: Electronic Media

Hometown: Madeira, OH

Her Campus: Thanks so much for DJing our launch party this past weekend, did you have fun?

Liela Crosset: No problem. I had a great time DJing! Everyone brought such a good energy.

HC: Now I know you got the gig through Bearcast media, can you tell me what is Bearcast is exactly and how did you get involved?

LC: Bearcast is a student media group that runs UC’s online radio station. We also make videos of local events, have artists in for studio sessions and interviews, and publish articles online. My good friend, Sam Medert from high school asked me to be on his show last year and I’ve just gotten more involved from there through meetings and new friends.

HC: Wow, that’s awesome! Tell me more about the show you guys do, what it is called, what you talk about, etc.

LC: Okay, yeah. Our show is called The Worst Sports Talk Show Ever on bearcastmedia.com, 8-10 p.m. on Mondays. We chose our name because last year, Sam started the show with our friend Hannah with the intention of it being about sports. But Hannah didn’t actually know anything about sports, so we decided to just talk about our relationships and campus life. Last spring, Hannah transferred to IU and I got my friend Svetlana Galvez to do it with us. Now we discuss controversial issues in the news, feminism, college life, and have people call in for relationship advice. It’s really fun and some people think we’re funny!

HC: Well, let me just say that the show is awesome and you’re very funny! I mean, I guess I would know since I did guest co-host last semester (no big deal or anything). Now you said you’re an electronic media major—did the show help play a part in you decision to study E-Media? What inspired that decision?

LC: [Laughs] you were the best guest co-host we’ve ever had! Bearcast in general really steered me towards E-Media. I was a Political Science major, but I was never really sure where I was going with it. I met a lot of E-Media majors, including Sam who is one of my best friends, and realized it was what I wanted to do.

HC: That’s very cool! As long as you’re doing something you’re passionate about, I think that’s all that really matters. And you seem to be doing just that! How do you balance everything with all the extracurriculars you’re involved in all while having a social life and keeping up with school? You are very involved on campus which is awesome to see!

LC: I honestly don’t know! I just have a lot of energy and UC has given me some great outlets. I’m constantly meeting students and people who inspire me to be better and do more. I always feel like there’s something else I can be working towards. I also have an amazing support system of family and friends. By keeping myself busy, I stay motivated and relatively organized!

HC: That’s great to hear. It seems like you are having one hell of a college experience! Now, I know it may be hard to pinpoint, but what has been the highlight of your college career thus far?

LC: Oh my gosh! It’s funny because I never feel like I’ve done anything. I guess the highlight would just be the fact that I’m really happy now and have put in the work to make a college experience I’m happy with. There aren’t many concrete accomplishments to point to.

HC: The fact that you are happy is good enough—that’s all you can really ask for in life! Liela, thank you so much for talking with us and sharing a bit of your life with us!

LC: Thanks so much! I am honored!

You can keep up with Liela by listening to her radio show Mondays, 8-10 p.m. at bearcastmedia.com as well as through her social media pages:

Twitter: @leelzdolls

Instagram: @liela_crosset 

Maddie Huggins is a fourth year student at the University of Cincinnati. Originally from Columbus, she quickly learned to swap out the OSU scarlet and grey for UC red and black. Maddie has loved writing since she was a little girl and is always down for a good time. She prides herself in being the world's best hugger.