roman kraft ZoAlN3 pJO8 unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
roman kraft ZoAlN3 pJO8 unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

I Tried the Pumpkin Spice Latte for the First Time

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Cincinnati chapter.

I’m a simple girl with a fairly simple Starbucks order. Every time I go, I get the same thing – a hot or iced chai tea latte. The most recent time I went, I decided to try something different. I was going to try the pumpkin spice latte, for the first time. So, I did. Well, kind of.

Instead of ordering a plain, pumpkin spice latte, I ordered a hot pumpkin spice chai tea, because I wanted to be different, but also because I was scared to try the actual pumpkin spice latte.

What if it didn’t live up to the hype?

When the barista handed me my drink, I didn’t know what to expect. Would it have the silky spice of chai? Or be so full of pumpkin spice that you couldn’t even taste the chai?

I took a sip… and it was really good! The pumpkin spice-chai combination was perfectly balanced, meaning that there wasn’t too much pumpkin and not enough chai or vice-versa (like I had expected). Once I had more of the latte, I realized that it wasn’t necessarily bad, but I wouldn’t call it my favorite.

I prefer my usual order of a chai latte; however, it felt good to branch out and try something new! I’m glad I tried it, and oddly enough, it made me want to try the actual Pumpkin Spice latte without chai.

Will I order the pumpkin spice-chai combination again? Probably not. But it was a good introduction to the iconic pumpkin spice latte. I would definitely recommend it to someone who likes tea and hasn’t had anything pumpkin spice flavored before.

Hailey Semchee

Cincinnati '22

Hailey Semchee is a third-year English/Rhetoric and Professional Writing major at the University of Cincinnati. She loves being creative in any way possible as well as traveling, watching movies, or drinking a lot of tea. You can follow her on instagram @haileysemchee.
Karina Baffa

Cincinnati '19

.