Career

I Don’t Have A Meal Plan…Here Is How I (Cheaply) Survive

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Cincinnati chapter.

As a college student, there are many worries that engulf my mind – my GPA, FOMO, tripping down the stairs, etc. One worry that I never thought that I would ever have is one that now occurs daily…where am I going to find food to eat for my next meal, if I can even eat at all? This thought is not limited to forgetting your lunchbox or not buying one thing at the grocery store. It is an occurrence that, if not addressed, can lead to serious issues down the road.

So I am faced with the question, how do I eat inexpensively and easily while someone incorporating all of my food groups?

My stomach growls, but for the past three months I have been in college, it has created a new sound. A sound that yearns for fresh vegetables and a well-balanced meal. 

How do I combat this? How do I eat? If you are in the same boat as me, welcome to the hungry, broke college student club! Let’s fight this famished fight together by following the three tips below:

1. Grocery List Structure

Walking into a grocery store can be overwhelming if you do not specifically know beforehand what you are looking for. I tend to structure my lists around my daily life so I can save money and make sure I am eating ALL of my purchases.

Breakfast: Pop-tarts, oatmeal, eggos, apples.

Lunch: Hawaiian rolls, lunch meat, Lean Cuisine, chips, Campbell’s soup, easy Mac.

Dinner: Spaghetti, grilled chicken strips, chicken nuggets, salad.

Snack: Granola bars, peanut butter crackers, Skinny Pop, frozen fruit.

Seem simple? Plan out when you will eat and shop accordingly!

2. Cooking Dates

Enough of spending $10 to go out to dinner, take your money and spend it at Kroger to make your own delicious creations together. Nothing is more fun than bonding over burnt food and following along to Pinterest recipes. Who knows, you may wind up finding a new favorite dish! Split the cost of meal prepping together and you can create enough food to feed an army (or you and your friend group for the week at least!)

3. Free Food Campus Group Messages

On almost every campus, UC included, there is a GroupMe with 500+ users full of free food alerts around campus. Campus police cookout? Yes please. Free Canes sauce on Tender Tuesdays? YES!

If you are one of the broke, hungry college students like me, this article might have potentially just intrigued your stomach to let out a hungry groan. If so, take one of the tips above – may the odds be in your food favor. Here’s to conquering the day and eating (somehow) all three meals!

If you or someone you know is really struggling to get food or even basic hygine nessescities there is also the Bearcat Food Pantry located at Stratford Heights, building 16, room seven. You can go here anytime between 9 a.m. and 5 p.m., Monday through Friday. It’s completely free to UC students, just bring your bearcat card!

Hattie is the president of HC Cincinnati, as well as a campus correspondent. She is attends the University of Cincinnati where she is majoring in Public Relations with a dual minor in Fashion Studies and Marketing. She's originally from western Kentucky and loves adventures. When she is not found creative writing, you can find her at your local coffee shop or binge-watching Bob Ross. She loves her crazy, beautiful life.
Emma Segrest

Cincinnati '22

Emma is a current Creative Writing and Journalism major at the University of Cincinnati and works as the Editorial Captain for Her Campus UC. When she is not writing she can be found reading Jane Austen or tending to her plants.