nathan fertig y0HerwKQLMk unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
nathan fertig y0HerwKQLMk unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

How to Deal with Distance

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Cincinnati chapter.

We love them, we hate them and we crave them! They are called relationships. It is obvious to say that relationships are no easy walk in the park; everyone who has seen or been in one knows that’s a fact. However, let’s focus on the even more complicated and frustrating idea of long distance relationships(LDRs) Although they may seem impossible and annoying, they truly can be happy and healthy relationships.  Whether you are a new to LDRs or have been in one for quite some time, here are some ways to maintaining a stable, long-lasting and happy long distance relationship.

1. Communication is ALWAYS key.If you are dating someone who lives right next door to you or halfway across the world, communication is always a necessity ia relationship. Looking at long distance relationships though, it definitely becomes a bit more challenging. It’s important that you and your partner are open with one another about what’s happening in your life and what you are feeling. It’s very easy to let the distance that separates you physically, separate you emotionally as well. 

Luckily we are blessed with the wonderful world of technology and things like texting, Skype and, dare I say, Snapchat exist. Even though talking on the phone seems to be the most plausible for long distance, that isn’t everyone’s cup of tea. Just remembering to keep in contact with your partner, but also giving each other space, is a significant factor in a long distance relationship.

2. Are they trustworthy? Well, I sure hope so. Otherwise I don’t know how long this relationship is going to last. Trust can either make or break any relationship, especially long distance relationships. You are not constantly and physically with your significant other so it’s extremely hard to tell whether or not they are telling the truth. It is also very easy to jump to conclusions over any little thing. So don’t be freaking out because your boyfriend just liked another girls Instagram picture and assume right away that he cheated on you! I highly doubt that happened, and now you just seem like a crazy girlfriend. Before you enter any kind of long distance relationship, trustworthiness should always be set in stone because that is what a healthy relationship is built off of.

3. Make plans to see each other! 

Regardless how far you are away from each other, start to make plans of exciting things you two can do together! Whether it’s during the school year or during holiday breaks, begin to brainstorm ideas for enjoyable dates. It’s easy to fall into a rut in long distance relationships because you two can’t really do anything “together”.So maybe spice things by watching a movie “with each other” (at the same time). Even better! Start to save money and plan a mini getaway to go visit your significant other. Once you have a planned or maybe even surprise visit, you will be counting the days and won’t be able to contain your excitement!

Morgan is a third year at the University of Cincinnati, majoring in Magazine Journalism with a minor in Communication.  From the start, she has always loved to read and write but now being able to do it at UC means so much more.  She aspires to work in editing or publishing one day and being an editor of HerCampus Cincinnati is definitely helping her pursue those lifelong dreams!  "Dwell in Possibility." -Emily Dickinson 
Campus Correspondent and founder of Her Campus Cincinnati. Tyasia is a 5th year Spanish & Marketing student (sadly!). Lover of all things plaid! When she's not sipping on margaritas or eating mangos, she's jet setting around the world (All time favorite place: Guatemala!) Tyasia plans to make New York City her home sweet home after graduation to pursue a International or Fashion PR career! Keep up with her on Twitter @tyjenksss