High Class Dining on a Low Class Budget

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Cincinnati chapter.

It’s Saturday night and your friends are planning to go to the newest restaurant in Over-the-Rhine. As you gather up your things, you do a last minute check of your wallet and realize there is a measly $20 bill in the main pocket. Panic occurs as you desperately begin to check your coat pockets for any extra cash. Sure, $20 is enough money to cover your entrée, but what about the queso and guacamole your friends insist on splitting every time? Not to mention everyone will want to go for drinks after and you don’t want to be the only one drinking water at the bar…again.  There is a constant dilemma of wanting to go to the newest places without spending all your money. This becomes much more difficult to do with new bars and restaurants popping up around Cincinnati, particularly in Over-the-Rhine(OTR). Within the last few years, OTR has become the “it” place to go to in Cincinnati. But as we all know, the “it” place does not come cheap. 

By applying these five tips, you can still go out to eat in OTR without breaking the bank. 

1. Hit up the Happy Hour  

Many people view Happy Hour as a way to get drunk without spending a lot of money. If this is your goal, more power to you! Often times, we forget about the food deals that occur during the same time. If you want to hit up a restaurant with unbeatable Happy Hour deals, consider Lachey’s. One may think this place is just another commercialized celebrity restaurant since brothers Drew and Nick Lachey established it. However, this misconception could not be further from the truth. Lachey’s offers great wings and a great atmosphere that makes you want to sit back and relax. There is a half-price appetizer of the week from Monday through Thursday and half-price Tot Bowls, our most popular item, on FridaysIf you aren’t in the mood to eat, Lachey’s offers $2 off all drafts, including beer, wine, and cocktails from 4 p.m. to 8 p.m., Monday through Friday.  

2. Go Out at a Different Time or Day  

Most people go out to eat during the evening, which is when the menu is typically more expensive. Going out to lunch may not be as glamorous as going out to dinner, but it can end up saving you money. If you are in the mood for fresh market foods, check out Salazar Restaurant & Bar. Located a block away from Washington Park, this lavish restaurant can easily be made affordable if you plan accordingly.  Owner and head chef José Salazar believes that a money conscious person can enjoy the high quality food while on a budget. “Try coming at lunch where sometimes the menu is more casual and less expensive,” said Salazar. If lunch hours don’t coincide with your schedule, be on the look out for any specials on certain days. “We do a special menu every Tuesday night in which we feature items from local farms. The dishes range from around $5-$10,” said Salazar.  

3. Utilize Groupons  

With OTR being an up and coming area, Groupon has become a popular site to help attract customers to new establishments around town. A Groupon is a fancier version of a coupon. Often times, you end up saving more than half on a meal by utilizing this deal. For example, if you are a fan of Japanese food, Kaze currently has a Groupon where you pay $12 for a $25 meal of any Japanese food or sushi. I would not rely only on Groupon deals, because all establishments do not offer them all the time. Try checking Groupon once a day for updates on the latest deals. 

4. Explore the Menu  

As a customer, it is important that you don’t feel limited to the entrée section of the menu. By browsing other areas, like the appetizer section, you may come across something that is just as appealing for half the price. There is hesitation with ordering an appetizer instead of an entrée because of the uncertainty that the dish will fill you. However, you will find that many appetizers at places in OTR offer hardy amounts that will fill you up. “I would stick with the ‘nibbles’ section of our menu,” said Salazar. Salazar Bar & Restaurant is the perfect example of a place that offers filling appetizers, most of them being sandwiches. The most popular sandwich from the “nibbles” section is the oyster sandwich and it is only $5! 

5. Split a Meal  

This tip may seem obvious, but try to think about the last time you split a meal. For some it was the other day, while others can’t remember. Splitting a meal can be the most cost effect way to save some cash. If you are looking for a split worthy restaurant, consider Bakersfield on Vine Street. Bakersfield is Mexican food with a southern California twist. “The best way is to go with a group and just split everything. If you split appetizers and just get a few tacos, you will be stuffed,” said Lauren Altmanone of the corporate managers of Bakersfield. Tacos are sold individually at a price of $4 while a popular appetizer of fresh guacamole is only $7. If you split all these items, you will not only save money, but be full as well.  

It is easy to eliminate a place because of their pricing. By looking beyond what the menu offers and exploring deals that may not be explicatively stated, you can still get the fine dining experience for half the cost in OTR. 

Hello! I am a current sophomore here at The University of Cincinnati where I am pursuing my Bachelor's Degree in journalism with an e-media minor. I am also planning on getting a PR certificate as well. When I'm not writing or watching the news (I know, I'm a grandma) you can find me eating a burger or drinking a nice glass of Kroger chocolate milk.