Her Campus takes NYC: Her Conference 2k15

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Cincinnati chapter.

Welcome back UC! With classes in full swing, I bet the first week had you reliving your summer adventures after telling your friends, roommates and even professors what you did with your time off. Everyone has a favorite story to tell from summer break, and this year, mine was traveling to New York City to attend the annual Her Conference.

From July 24 to July 26, four Cincinnati girls ventured to the Big Apple by plane and bus (& some of us for the very first time). While in New York City, we stayed in the amazing Holiday Inn in the Financial District where our nightly adventures took us to the Brooklyn Bridge and Times Square. However, getting there was a unforgettable experience. It was my first time ever flying and I was amused by everything…literally EVERYTHING. The man in the all plaid suit sitting next to me was not; apology to you sir for dealing with me for those dreadful 2 hours aboard the plane. In addition to my first flight, it was also my first time to New York City. I think everyone would definitely agree that New York is a top 10 bucket list item. Although, we were only there for a short amount of time, I do have 2 major tips for the New York First Timers.

Tip #1: Be prepared to get a little (or like we did A LOT) lost. We got lost everywhere. Shout out to Google Maps for not being a big help…or was it none of us could read a map. 

Tip #2: Try a hot dog from a hot dog stand in Times Square. For some reason, they are just 1000x better than regular hot dogs. As much good food, good times and good directions we had, Her Conference was the main reason for all of our fun.

Her Conference was first launched to allow women to gain insight into the marketing, journalism and media fields, get advice from some of the top fashion editors and seek much needed inspiration to help advance them into their careers during and after their college experiences. Her Conference was a two-day event; Saturday July 25th  was open only to Her Campus team members, (another great reason to join the HC Cincinnati Team) while Sunday the 26th was open to HC members, readers, or those who are just interested in fashion and journalism. The two days were packed with keynote speeches, guest speakers, catered Chipotle (yes that’s right… Endless Guac & Chips!) and tons of giveaways…..A few of us are still scarred from not winning the coveted $100 Nine West gift card.

Never in a million years did I think I would be in the same room as my fashion #girlcrushes including Seventeen’s own Editor in Chief Michelle Tan, People StyleWatch’s editor Lisa Arbetter, and the VP of Refinery29 Neha Gandhi. The icing on the trip was defintely meeting and taking pictures with Carly and Nessa from MTV’s Girl Code. (To see some of the amazing photos from Her Conference, search #HerConference on Instagram and Twitter.) This trip was a great experience for us all individually and as a Her Campus Cincinnati team. Spending 3 days and 2 nights in a small hotel room, and getting lost on every street in New York was what brought us closer together. In the process, we gained valuable advice and tips to help us jumpstart our own careers, as well as how to improve and expand HC Cincinnati (& hopefully become a Pink Level next year). Defintely can’t wait until next year!

For more information about Her Conference, visit HerConference.com

Fourth year student at the University of Cincinnati, majoring in magazine journalism and minoring in fashion studies in the DAAP program. Enthusiast of green tea, bunnies, and anything black & gold. Aspiring to have a future in the fashion journalism world.