Fourth Year Wisdom: The Magic Roommate Number

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Cincinnati chapter.

It is hard to believe I am sitting here, typing this article, as a fourth year college student. Like really? I am already about to graduate? It just seems like yesterday that I was living in my freshman dorm not having a care in the world. Fast forward to now and I am living in a house with four other people getting ready to look for real jobs. It is nerve wracking but exciting! During my last year I want to give out some advice to everyone younger than me in college who may have questions, comments, concerns, etc. that they feel they will never get the answer to. And yes, obviously I do not have all the answers but looking at myself from freshman year to now I have learned a lot and it would be wrong not to share. I wish someone would have done it for me, so hey just giving back to the people.

Da-da-da-daaaaaaa Here I am, Maddie, to save the day.

To kick off this series, I want to talk about roommates and how many people *~*~you should~*~* live with. To give an overview of my story, I lived with one girl freshman year, three girls sophomore year, one girl junior year and currently I live with four people(including three guys).

So now you may be wondering, “Alright so how many people should I live you????” Below, are a few guidelines.

1.) LIVE WITH WHOEVER YOU WANT – Whether it be one person or ten, do whatever YOU YOURSELF are comfortable with. You’re going to be the one who has to live there, not me, not your parent, not your friend from home. YOU! So choose who you like to surround yourself with.

2.) ACT MATURELY – After my sophomore year, we did not tell one of our roommates we were not planning on living with her the next year for too long. I have learned from that mistake and wouldn’t do it again, picture if you were in that person’s shoes and imagine how you would feel being out of the loop. Again, you are allowed to live with whoever you want but be kind if you’re letting a current roommate know that you won’t be living with them the next year.

3.) FIND A PLACE TO STAY FOR YEARS – I made the mistake of moving every year of college and I wish I wouldn’t have had to do it. Look for a place where you feel comfortable, is close to campus and is not a complete “college house” and stay there. Save yourself, your parents and whoever helps to move you the trouble. **Sorry mom and dad & thank you for moving me every year. 

IN THE END – It does not matter how many people you live with. As long as you’re happy with the situation and courteous then all is well.

Maddie Huggins is a fourth year student at the University of Cincinnati. Originally from Columbus, she quickly learned to swap out the OSU scarlet and grey for UC red and black. Maddie has loved writing since she was a little girl and is always down for a good time. She prides herself in being the world's best hugger.