This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Cincinnati chapter.

I always take the time during the first month of the new year to reflect on the previous year. I try to think of things I could have handled better, goals I wish I accomplished, places I went, people I met, and everything in between. 

This month was especially hard for me though, my 2019 was not what I expected it to be. At all. I think that’s a defect we all have, new year’s rolls around and we think the upcoming year is going to be magical; filled with only butterflies, rainbows, and new beginnings. 

However, most of the time this is not the case. I know they have a saying that goes something like, ‘you get wiser every year’, and I agree with that statement whole-heartedly; but they don’t tell you that a lot of the new found wisdom comes from hurt. This year I went through a breakup, lost my closest friend to a relationship, became financially independent, started having mental health challenges, started working about 30 hour weeks, all on top of being a student. 

One major thing I learned this year is that on all of that ‘stuff’ there is this crazy thing called a flip. On the flip side of things, that’s a more common expression. That’s what I had to really learn about in 2019, it was very hard to stay optimistic when things were so tough but, I had the flip. I had more points that were low in 2019 than high I would say, but I also learned a lot about staying optimistic and using the flip to my advantage. 

So, in 2019, I got to be single, I found an even better boyfriend (hi Kellan!), I learned that I don’t deserve one sided friendships, I learned how to budget, I learned that real friends don’t choose boys over their friendships, I made lots of money, I got to meet lots of new people, and most importantly I made it to 2020. Despite everything, I made it into the year 2020. Last semester was particularly the worst of 2019. I feel into a really bad spell of sadness, I had applied to over 100 internships hearing nothing back, I had gained weight, I didn’t have my best friend anymore, and my relationship wasn’t doing too well. 

This was most likely the lowest point in my entire life. I contemplated what life would be like if there really wasn’t another, more positive side to the scenario. Through time I have learned no matter how hard it may seem to just try your best to look on the positive side. I know, sounds so cliché, but I noticed significant improvement when I started doing this, and stopped beating myself up over every little thing. 

This 2020 I encourage you to actually pick a goal and try to follow it, see the positive, get to know yourself a little better, and most importantly know that things really do get better .. you just have to find that ‘flip’.

Chloe Sacre

Cincinnati '22

University of Cincinnati
Emma Segrest

Cincinnati '22

Emma is a current Creative Writing and Journalism major at the University of Cincinnati and works as the Editorial Captain for Her Campus UC. When she is not writing she can be found reading Jane Austen or tending to her plants.