Dorm Cooking Series 101: Chicken Noodle Soup

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Cincinnati chapter.

The weather has started to cool off, the leaves have started to change, and I pulled out all my sweaters and have started pinning fall outfit ideas on Pinterest. Fall has officially arrived. This means that I can fill up on as much soup as I want without someone judging me for eating it in 80-degree weather. Soup has always been, and I’m pretty sure will always be one of my favorite meals. There is nothing like curling up under a fuzzy blanket, pulling up your favorite Netflix movie, and listening to the wind whistle against the windows as you devour your favorite bowl of soup. One of my favorites is Chicken Noodle soup, as it helps with sore throats, colds, tastes delicious, and always warms me up. However, if you’re not a huge fan of canned chicken noodle soup (I’m definitely not), here’s a simple and easy homemade recipe that you can whip up in no time. 

Chicken n’ Noodles Recipe 

1-hour prep and cook time 

32 oz. of chicken broth

16 oz. old fashion noodles (egg noodles)

2 cans of chicken and herb soup

1 cup of sliced carrots

The white meat from 1 rotisserie chicken

5-quart pot

If you want to add any other veggies, like celery and onions, just be sure to sauté the onions first. 

1. Add broth to pot and fill with water until the pot is two thirds full of liquid (this is honestly the longest part of the recipe) 
  2. Bring the water and broth to a boil, and in the meantime chop your carrots and other veggies
  3. Add the noodles and cook them according to the package’s instructions
  4. Then add the canned soup, carrots, chicken, and simmer for 10 minutes

It’s ready to eat, so Bon Appétit! :) 

Thumbnail Image Source

Lauren Lewis

Cincinnati

Lauren Lewis is a fourth year at the University of Cincinnati double majoring in International Affairs and Creative Writing. When she's not on Pinterest fawning over recipes and crafts, she's drinking copious amounts of chai tea, finding the hidden treasures of Cincinnati, and shopping for inexpensive books at Good Will.