Collegiettes Who Keep Up

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Cincinnati chapter.

With the rise of technology, we have seen advances in many aspects of life. From using Nokia brick phones to having major upgrades like iPhones and Androids, no more having to get off of the internet when mom has to use the phone and we no longer have to rely on newspapers only to get our news. There are internet pages, the News app on iPhone, text alerts and more. One of my favorite ways to get the news each morning is through subscription services. They will send you emails every morning (at  least the ones I use) and give you updates on developing news stories, celebrity news and some fun information too. It’s a part of my morning routine that I love; I wake up, stumble into the kitchen to brew myself a cup of hot coffee then nestle back in bed and check my phone for texts I missed, skim through Instagram and then head to my inbox to see what’s waiting for me. Having the news sent to my phone each morning helps keep me in the loop and educated. I think it’s important for each one of us to stay up to date on today’s issues and not just the “fluff.” I have three favorite subscriptions that deliver the right amount of information and keep me coming back day after day (and did I mention they are free???).

1. theSkimm

This subscription is the I have been with the longest. It was started by two friends who wanted to able to deliver news quickly and easily to consumers. What keeps me coming back is their varied content and their witty headlines. I always feel like I’m getting quality news from theSkimm and many of my friends subscribe to it as well. If you’re a busy man or woman on the go who likes a bit of spice with their news stories, theSkimm is perfect for you.

2. The New York Times Morning Briefing

If you couldn’t tell from the title, this subscription is done through the New York Times. It compiles news from their site and places the main points throughout their email with links to full articles. The sections in the daily email include business topics, noteworthy topics, sports, recipes and more. They really give a whole lot of information but in an efficient manner, which I think is great. The NYT also has an evening briefing on their website if that is of your interest.

3. The Newsette

This subscription is the unlike the other two in that there is not as much news but it still provides great information. Their site notes it’s, “the stylish way to stay in the know on the go” and I couldn’t agree more. They go over trending topics and then have a section at the bottom with different features daily. The features I love most lay out the morning and evening routines of boss ladies in all different industries like start up businesses and skin care lines. I think it’s very cool to hear what successful women do to start and end their day. 

Though these are the three I subscribe to and love, there are plenty more out there to check out for yourself. Keep in the know, and do it quickly and easily with a morning subscription like these.

Maddie Huggins is a fourth year student at the University of Cincinnati. Originally from Columbus, she quickly learned to swap out the OSU scarlet and grey for UC red and black. Maddie has loved writing since she was a little girl and is always down for a good time. She prides herself in being the world's best hugger.