Britt Fillmore: Fashionista from Dayton

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Cincinnati chapter.

Name: Britt Fillmore    

Age: 23
Major(s): Magazine Journalism & double minor in Fashion Design Studies (DAAP) & Entrepreneurship (Linder) 
Hometown: Dayton, Ohio
Interests: Art, drawing, photography, writing, modeling, reading magazines, meditating, listening to Rihanna songs, watching WWE, drinking wine, cosmetics and shopping 

Her Campus University of Cincinnati: You’re a transfer student….what made you transfer to UC?
Britt Fillmore: Well I finished my associate’s degree from the Art Institute of Cincinnati in 2012. I majored in Fashion Merchandising and Management. After working as a retail manager for about a year after graduating from the Art Institute, I decided to quit my job and pursue my dream of becoming a stylist and a fashion editor of a magazine. Even though I was familiar with the fashion industry, I had very little knowledge about the magazine industry, so I decided to continue my education at UC. I heard they had a very good journalism program where you could choose a specific track — I chose the magazine track. I also knew that UC had a nationally ranked fashion program along with a well respected fashion scene reputation around Cincinnati. So in 2013, I applied to UC, and I think it’s been a very positive experience for me thus far. In short, what made me transfer to UC? I just wanted to better myself and my career.

HCUC: I can see that you obviously love fashion. What is your favorite part about the fashion world?
BF: The thing I love most about fashion is that the only rule is that, there are no rules. It is one of the only industries where I can do and say almost whatever I want and it’s not looked down upon to be a unique individual. I also love that there’s more psychology behind fashion than what people think. Your mind can have a whole perception of someone just based off of the way they look and dress. I sometimes like to play on this fact and change up my style based on my emotional state — we can change up our persona just with how we’re dressed.

HCUC: What is one of the fashion trends that you are obessed with right now?
BF: Hmm…I try not too get too involved with or attached to trends because typically they don’t last and I tend to dislike things that are inconsistent. BUT, if I had to choose one — I love love love matte lip gloss and lipstick! I think matte makeup is flattering on every skin tone and lip shape. Some of my favorite matte lip products are NYX Soft Matte Lip Cream and my roommates turned me on to Colour Pop Matte Lip glosses!

HCUC: Speaking of fashion, you intern for Cincy Chic..what made you want to intern with them?
BF: Back when I studied at the Art Institute [in 2011] is when I first heard of Cincy Chic. I thought the online magazine was so adorable and one of my classmates interned for them at the time. I then attended a couple of their events and I had a great time. I decided to submit an application and resume — but then I got denied. The editor in chief of the magazine emailed me back and kindly told me no and that I needed more relevant work experience in my portfolio. Then after doing just that, I applied again last April and got the internship! It has been an incredible experience and I’ve learned a lot from my mentor, Amy Scalia, the editor in chief of Cincy Chic. During the short amount of time I’ve worked for them, I went from intern to Fashion Director and now I handle all of the fashion show production for Cincy Chic and sometimes still write fashion columns for the magazine. Last night, we had a fashion show at the Kennedy Arts Center. The show was called Night in White and everyone dressed up in white in honor of the nursing scholarship we donate to with the proceeds we made from ticket sales. The nursing scholarship is called the 8 Days, 1 Hour Foundation. I put together 7 models and 14 looks for the fashion show using clothes from She’s All That Boutique located in Northern KY. Not to mention, with She’s All That Boutique, 100% of their profits go towards helping underprivileged young women get tuition through college. With fashion you can have fun and be daring, but you can also positively impact lives at the same time and with interning with Cincy Chic I knew I would be able to do that.  

HCUC: What are your future goals after you graduate?
BF: One of my biggest goals is just to graduate lol. Sometimes I have so much work I think I’m not going to make it through! One of my current goals is to go to New York this summer and do a kick-ass job at an internship I got with The Bromely Group, a fashion PR and fashion event production company. The internship is for three months, and I’ll be their event production specialist. This will be my first time in New York and doing anything fashion wise on this large of a scale. As far as future goals go, I have the same goals as everyone…I want to find a well paying job in my area of study, find a sexy husband, have some babies, and just enjoy life.

HCUC: Last question: what is your biggest advice to people who are interested in fashion but don’t know how to get involved?
BF: My biggest advice to anyone who truly is interested in fashion is really do your homework and research on it. It’s more than just dressing nice and finding good deals. It is a multi billion dollar industry that people everywhere buy into everyday. Yes, dressing trendy and having a sense of style is a part of it, but it is a small part of it. Even Alexander McQueen said, “I read books on fashion from the age of 12”. If you are interested in fashion really take the time to invest in it and study it. Learn who Demna Gvasalia is, learn what a bias cut is, read about what the CFDA does, learn about color theory and composition, figure out how the trickle down theory works. Learn about all things relevant to fashion, and once you’ve learned all that you can — learn some more. The fashion industry is constantly changing so you have to stay up to date. With knowledge comes power and everything else will fall into place.

Campus Correspondent and founder of Her Campus Cincinnati. Tyasia is a 5th year Spanish & Marketing student (sadly!). Lover of all things plaid! When she's not sipping on margaritas or eating mangos, she's jet setting around the world (All time favorite place: Guatemala!) Tyasia plans to make New York City her home sweet home after graduation to pursue a International or Fashion PR career! Keep up with her on Twitter @tyjenksss