This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Cincinnati chapter.

If you’re on the search for live music, particularly local music, Cincinnati has a ton of venues that offer what you’re looking for. We have staples like MOTR Pub, which hosts a variety of styles of music. There are also more niche places like The Mockbee, which also showcases a variety of music, but with more emphasis on Cincinnati’s underground rap scene. And last but not least, we have quite a few jazz bars and restaurants, one being Washington Platform Saloon that features jazz every week.

Here are some of the best:

MOTR mostly features rock music, but occasionally will feature other types. All across the walls are posters from bands that have visited, and often local art is displayed as well. In addition to that, they also serve late night bar food. The stage is small, but it allows the music to feel more intimate and typically allows for an active crowd. There is a bar upstairs and downstairs so it’s usually easy to get a drink.

The Mockbee is a great place for rap music in particular, especially if you’re trying to see and find something you’ve never heard before. Hosting a variety of events such as Off the Block Mondays, this is a place for both new musicians and up and coming musicians. It has a rotating art gallery, a ton of local beer and is in the basement of a former brewery. This is a place that frequently allows people under the age of 21, and will surprise you with the incredible underground music scene in Cincinnati.

The Comet is a regular host to all types of local music. The crowds are not usually terribly big, so it’s easy to get close to the artists playing. Known as a great and willing host for a variety of events, you can find everything from spoken word to comedy to new rap groups.

Northside Yacht Club is a gastropub with a fun design and great cocktails. Outside, you can find a boat to sit on, a huge two floor patio, and all types of space for live performances and concerts. A venue that frequently brings in bands from out of town for a modest price, it’s definitely worth a visit if you haven’t been.

Arnold’s Bar & Grill is arguably one of the most beautiful bars downtown as well as Cincinnati’s oldest tavern. It is definitely a staple in the Cincinnati community.  Several days of the weeks you will find live music, in particular, a great amount of local music and jazz bands. Featuring delicious bar food and fairly prices cocktails, it’s an atmosphere that everyone should experience if only for one time.

The Drinkery OTR features a variety of local music, really giving agency to artists around the city. Depending on the day of the week, it might be rap, R&B, or rock, it really just depends on who wants to play. The weekend is usually a completely different vibe though. It’s almost club-like and most likely features a DJ.

Schwartz’s Point Jazz and Acoustic Club is the perfect spot for a date night. There is always at least a $5 cover but this place is a real treat, bringing in bands from out of town as well as featuring local talent. Bands from all over the world come here. When you’re here, you’ll feel as if you left Cincinnati for a bit and perhaps landed in Paris or Italy.

Washington Platform Saloon is an American comfort food restaurant that focuses on seafood. The menu is huge and features a variety of options that are sure to fit anyone’s diet from gluten-free to vegan. The best part is every weekend when the restaurant features a variety of local musicians. There are plenty of little corners to get tucked away in, where you can enjoy the company of a friend and some great music.

Briana Rice

Cincinnati '19

Senior at the University of Cincinnati
Ricole Davis

Cincinnati

Born and raised in the wonderful state of Ohio. When I grow up, if I ever do, I want to be a doctor. Fourth year at the University of Cincinnati. In my spare time, I like to collect vinyls, write and play with my favorite boy, my bunny Phoenix. I love everything about the outdoors except for the bugs. Just trying to get through the day without making a complete fool of myself...