Wellness > Health

A Simple and Versatile Roasted Butternut Squash Soup

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Cincinnati chapter.

I always found myself intimidated by cooking with squash. Some soup recipes can be complicated and use a lot of ingredients, and while those are great, sometimes you want something easier! If you’re finding yourself in the same boat, look no further than this delicious and easy roasted butternut squash soup recipe!

INGREDIENTS

1 large butternut squash

reserved seeds from the squash

2 tablespoons olive oil

¼ sweet onion, diced

1 celery stalk, diced

1-2 small carrots, diced

2-4 diced garlic cloves to taste

3-4 cups of stock or water as needed

salt and pepper to taste

1 teaspoon cumin

1 teaspoon thyme

¼ cup heavy cream (optional)

DIRECTIONS

1. Preheat the oven to 425 degrees Fahrenheit and line two baking trays with aluminum foil or parchment paper. Slice the butternut squash in half and remove the seeds. Coat with a drizzle of olive oil and season with a pinch of salt and pepper.
  2. Rinse the removed squash seeds and spread out on one of your baking trays. Pat dry with a paper towel and season with a drizzle of olive oil and salt. Roast in the oven until light brown, about 7-12 minutes. Turn the squash face down on your second baking tray and roast until it is browned and fully fork tender, about 35 to 45 minutes.
  3. While the squash is roasting, heat up a tablespoon of olive oil in a large pot on medium heat. Add diced onion and saute until translucent and lightly carmelized. Add in the diced garlic cloves, celery, and carrot (there’s no need to peel the carrot, but you can if you want).
  4. Season with cumin and thyme and saute for another 5 to 10 minutes, then pour in your stock or water before the garlic burns.
  5. Once the squash is done, take the squash out of the oven and set it aside to cool off for about 10 minutes. Once cooled, scoop out the flesh and add it to your soup. Stir to combine.
  6. Scoop your soup mixture into a blender, adding 1 cup at a time and blend until smooth. (You can also use an immersion blender, a mesh strainer, or just mash the squash by hand for a more textured soup.)
  7. Add the soup back into the pot and simmer for another 2-3 minutes, seasoning with more salt and pepper to taste. Add in a splash of cream if you would like. Serve in a bowl with an optional additional drizzle of heavy cream and a small handful of your roasted seeds. Enjoy!

I encourage you to have fun and experiment with this recipe–I was winging it when I made it for the first time, and it turned out great! Try different spice blends, add in more vegetables like leeks or potatoes, or have a roasted vegetable on the side like brussel sprouts or broccoli. The options are limitless!

Katherine Donaghy

Cincinnati '24

Katherine is a Fine Arts major at the University of Cincinnati’s DAAP Program. She loves art, music, the environment, and staying up to date on current events.