The 9 Songs to Know Before O.N.O. Fest

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Cincinnati chapter.

Spring has finally sprung around the U.C. campus and that means only one thing…..it’s time for our annual spring concert O.N.O. (One Night Only) Fest. Each year, Programs and Activities Council (PAC) provides the best and most entertaining musical acts to perform at the high energy concert. In the past, the spring concert has featured big shots like Kendrick Lamar, Twenty One Pilots and Big Boi. This year, they definitely did not disappoint – with musical acts Big Sean, Cherub, and Big Gigantic it’s sure to be a good show. I always like going to music concerts; if I’ve never heard of that artist before, Spotify is my personal cheat sheet to feeling like a longtime fan (even though I’ve only heard of them a month in advance). So to insure that we all have a wonderful time, I thought that it would be helpful to make a list of the 9 songs we should know before April 18th. Nobody wants to look confused or lost while everyone else is screaming Big Sean’s Dance (A$$) song. We’ll all have a better time if we’re singing along together to these three musicians.  

Big Gigantic:

Big Gigantic who hail from Boulder, Colorado are an instrumental livetronica, hip-hop and jazz musical group. Though the duo doesn’t actually sing on their tracks, they still provide danceable beats that could get any party started.

1)         Sky High

This song gives you the right amount of bass at the right time, it’s clear to hear the jazz saxophone blended with the right amount of hip hop inspired beat which creates and amazing symphony of modern mixed with classical jazz.

2)         The Night is Young

This song is a collaboration with fellow O.N.O. fest performer Cherub. In this track, you get  a high energy, pulse increasing dance song that will be sure to get you going.

3)         Get On Up

Get On which was released on February 8th is the newest released single from the group. It incorporates old school hip hop beats with a twist of electronica bass drops.

Cherub:

Cherub, an electro-indie duo from Nashville, Tennessee, formed in 2010 when they both were attending Middle Tennessee State University for music production. The groups sound infuses 80’s style funk music with an electronic mix.

4)         Doses & Mimosas

Doses & Mimosas is the song you play when you really could care less about what anyone thinks of you. The lyrics are a little bit on the explicit side but it’s the anthem you won’t mind singing along to with its catchy choruses and infectious beat.

5)         XOXO

Another one of their more explicit songs,  XOXO, is the song you wish you had known about after your last break up. With such an up tempo beat you might not even realize that the song is about a love you should have known better than to get involved with.

6)         Sucker for Love

Sucker for Love is one of Cherub’s new songs form their latest EP Leftover. This song is reminiscent to a slowed down 80’s pop tune mixed with a laid back funk under tone.

Big Sean:

Big Sean is a rapper from Detroit, Michigan who got his big break back in 2005 when he did a free style rap for Kanye West as he was walking into a local radio station for an interview. Two years later, West signed Big Sean to his GOOD Music label.

7)         I Don’t F*ck With You (IDFWY)

Let’s be honest…who hasn’t heard IDFWY? IDFWY is the #1 lead single from the rapper’s recently released album Dark Sky Paradise. No matter how many times you hear it on the radio, you still get the urge to get hyped to the breakup anthem.

8)         Dance (A$$)

The single from his first studio album Finally Famous is one that is definitely  going to get you moving with just its beat alone not to mention that it’s one of Big Sean’s big club hits. If you’re a huge Nicki Minaj fan, the remix is amazing too!

9)         Blessings

Another track from his recent album featuring Drake, Blessings is the song that has a trap like beat with an even better heavy bass. Big Sean even released an alternative version featuring a verse from Kanye himself.

I hope that you found some of these song suggestions as an introduction to what you can expect to hear at O.N.O. Fest. Don’t forget that O.N.O. Fest is on April 18th at Fifth Third Arena right here on campus. Doors open at 6 p.m. and the show will start at 7:30 p.m.  For more information head over to the official O.N.O. Fest site at www. onenightonlyfest.com

Maya Odom

Cincinnati

Maya Odom is a journalism Major at the University of Cincinnati. If she's not at at some type of music festival you can find her at an art museum, theater or looking at the latest trends on the runway. She holds boybands in a special place in her heart right next to Netflix.