77 Years of Sigma Sigma Carnival

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Cincinnati chapter.

For the past 76 years, the Men of Sigma Sigma have put on the “Carnival” or rather, the upmost premiere event at the University of Cincinnati. It is an opportunity for the community to come together and support the university. April 16, 2016 will mark the 77th year of Sigma Sigma Carnival at UC. “To fill a void of the junior prom ending in 1939, Sigma Sigmas saw an opportunity as campus leaders to make an event that would be a celebration for the year,” explains active Sigma Sigma Tyler Roher. As a goal to foster community and school spirit, Sigma Sigma continued this tradition. UC alumnus and Sigma Sigma Brandon Trame agrees, “The Carnival is the end of the year celebration for the entire university. This event is extra special because it serves one purpose, and that is to celebrate the university and its accomplishments from that school year. All students, staff, alumni, organizations, and surrounding community are invited to celebrate the end of the year together.” The community gathers around carnival tents with games, food, music and more on Sigma Sigma Commons. Active brother Chris Steward confirms, “Carnival is a time for students to get together, wind down and just enjoy being a Bearcat.”

Photo courtesy: the Men of Sigma Sigma

This Saturday night will bring the Sigma Sigma Carnival theme, The Carnival Awakens. “Like any major event, we plan for this months in advance. The theme is picked by the active brothers. Each carnival has a unique theme and has never been repeated,” said Steward. The theme gets students pumped up about the Carnival and the real reason for this celebration; to give back to the university. “It’s the longest running student event for a reason. It strives to bring together all corners of campus for one night of fun and games. It’s a simple concept, invite everyone, ask student groups to set up carnival style booths, offer refreshments and let everyone have fun,” confirms Trame, “It is one of the few events that offers all student groups an opportunity to get involved and interact with students. Every year as an undergrad I met someone new at Carnival, learned about and engaged with a new student organization, and was able to celebrate the school year with all corners of campus.” Student organizations, alumni and other businesses have the opportunity to sponsor the event. Sigma Sigma Nathan Anderson explains, “We  put this event on to raise money that we in turn donate back to our university. We raise money from student organization and business all over campus to help put this event on.” The gift is selected by Sigma Sigma and given to the areas of campus that are in most need of their support.  

Photo courtesy: the Men of Sigma Sigma

With months of hard work and planning, it is sure to be another Sigma Sigma Carnival for the books. “I hope the community sees how amazing the university truly is,” shares Steward. A standing tradition for 77 years is one not to miss. “It’s a great to be apart of not only because it’s a lot of fun but because it allows us to give back to something that has given so much to every single one of us,” said Anderson. At the heart of campus, students and alumni and the community alike will find a common bond, supporting the University of Cincinnati, on Saturday night. The event will take place from 6 p.m. to 1 a.m. on Sigma Sigma Commons. Everyone is welcome. 

Emma Gresser

Cincinnati

Emma is a junior at The University of Cincinnati and is studying Communication with Public Relations and Journalism. She has a passion for expressing creativity through words and is extremely excited to be a part of the HerCampus Cincinnati chapter!