5 Reasons Why You Should Get Involved With Student Government Elections

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Cincinnati chapter.

1.     Recognize the needs of your campus

The students running for positions in Student Government care about the campus, community and beyond. Take a look at their platforms, values and education on the issues surrounding you. Some candidates will actually have their own websites to give a visual of their platform, who is supporting them and how they plan to execute their ideas if they were to be elected.  

Photo Courtesy: UC Student Government

2.     Have an issue? Student Government can help with that.

Student Government is there to serve you (#SGWorksForYou). Just like any other democracy, the people in student government positions want you to be heard. They are representing you as a student body. So, these leaders have actually come up with really cool ways for you to get involved. You can look at what the Senate is doing at “Inside the Senate Room”, http://www.insidethesenateroom.com, where the Senate blogs about issues and new ideas they are tackling. Or if you want in on the action, just go to the Senate meetings every Wednesday at 6:00 p.m. in TUC 425.

Photo Courtesy: UC Student Government 

3.     Learn about the student leaders on campus

The candidates running for these positions are student just like you but they are also passionate about making a difference on this campus. All leaders of campus organizations want people like you to get involved, make a difference of your own and not to mention become a leader. Most undergraduate students are only here for four or five years. This means our leaders today have big shoes to fill. It is up to us, as loyal Bearcats, to get involved and make a difference.     

Photo Courtesy: Brenna McLaughlin

4.     Have your student organization recognized

Let’s say you are already a student leader. Want to improve your student organization? Express to the candidates what you are looking for with a new slate. Chances are, if you share your issues, the candidates will want to hear. They are running to improve and they will know what issues are most important if you are willing to let them know.

Photo Courtesy: UC Student Government 

5.     Student Government does not just end with the President and Vice President

Student Government is actually quite complex. There is the Executive Board, Senate, Cabinet, and Tribunals. There are external elections (President and Vice President and Senate) and internal elections (Cabinet, Tribunals). It is a fascinating form of student government that is all explained to you on their own website, http://sites.ucfilespace.uc.edu/sg/.

Photo Courtesy: UC Student Government

Whether you are running, on a campaign team, a student leader, or someone who just wants to get involved, I encourage you to vote. Take a few minutes out of your day to learn about each platform and then cast your vote to BlackBoard. Student Government elections begin February 24 and end February 26. Let your voice be heard! 

Emma Gresser

Cincinnati

Emma is a junior at The University of Cincinnati and is studying Communication with Public Relations and Journalism. She has a passion for expressing creativity through words and is extremely excited to be a part of the HerCampus Cincinnati chapter!