katie harp dRCjgmc4B8I unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
katie harp dRCjgmc4B8I unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Career

5 Housing Tips and Tricks

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Cincinnati chapter.

Housing around the campus of the University of Cincinnati can become very expensive, especially if you are a “broke college student.” If UC is far from your hometown, it is essential to find a living situation around campus. Here are five tips to figuring out your school year living situation without breaking your bank!

1. Don’t live in a dorm

Dorms have their advantages. They are located right on campus, they allow easy ways for you to meet other students, and they are the traditional place to live in college. However, when taking a closer look at the prices, dorms can become impractical. Dorms are fun for the first year or two of college but consider the dent in your bank account they will make after four years in college.

2. Apply to be an RA

Many students apply to be a resident advisor. Even though there are limited spots, the position is worth applying for when you consider the free housing and food plan the job offers. Even though it is not a lot, RAs also get paid on top of the other benefits. Consider applying for this position if the benefits are worth working in a dorm to you.

3. Keep your car at home

Parking garages on UC’s campus can cost up to $500 for one semester. When looking for a living situation, it is beneficial to consider the distance it has from campus. If you can walk or bike to campus and don’t purchase a parking garage, hundreds of dollars stay in your pockets each semester. It is also worth mentioning that this method is also very good for the environment and better for your health.

4. Balance utilities

Often times, the price tag on monthly rent isn’t too bad for an apartment. That is until you consider utilities. Many places around campus do not include utilities in the initial rent. Strategies to help lower these costs include taking shorter showers, purchasing compact fluorescent lightbulbs, using cold water in your washing machine, and hanging your clothes to dry.

5. Find roommates

Some people love them, others hate them. Either way, it’s a fact that living with more people around campus will reduce rent. One of the cheapest roommate solutions is sharing bedrooms, or turning a living area into another bedroom. Also, try your best to sign separate leases from your roommates so that if someone doesn’t make rent for the month, the due will not fall back on you.

Maggie Deller

Cincinnati '22

Maggie Deller is a third year Environmental Studies major with a Biology minor. She loves bird watching, being with her friends, and hanging with her pet ducks.
Emma Segrest

Cincinnati '22

Emma is a current Creative Writing and Journalism major at the University of Cincinnati and works as the Editorial Captain for Her Campus UC. When she is not writing she can be found reading Jane Austen or tending to her plants.