The Lalareading A Book
The Lalareading A Book
Her Campus Media

5 Books You Need to Read this New Year

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Cincinnati chapter.

With most of our school work and assignments being online for almost a year due to the pandemic, our eyes have been suffering due to the computer or phone screens. Meetings, exams, and club activities all being completely virtual this school semester it’s hard to find a break from a screen. But, one way to improve your eye health and take a break from a computer screen is reading a paper book! If your resolution for the new year is to read more books or you just want to unwind before bedtime reading books can be a fun downtime. Listed below are four books that I recommend and can suit any genre one prefers.

1. Sapiens: A Brief History of Humankind by Yuval Noah Harari

Originally published in Hebrew in 2011 and then in English in 2014, and also made an appearance on The New York Times best-seller list. The non-fiction book focuses on the evolution and history of humankind. The book explores how the human species evolved from the archaic period to the present society. Topics such as religion, capitalism, and wars can be discussed and its influence on humankind. The book is not a light read but is interesting to anyone who wishes to learn more about how humans have changed the narrative regarding virtually everything we know today.

2. The Kite Runner by Khaled Hosseini

The novel revolves around a young boy named Amir and his life in Kabul during unruly times in Afghanistan. The novel follows Amir through his childhood to adulthood, and how his relationship with his closest friend Hassan develops over time. While the book is not light-hearted, it was hard to put down. A tear-jerker with plot twists that reveal many secrets along the way.

3. Flowers for Algernon by Daniel Keyes

One of the older books on the list, but still very relevant to this day. The book follows the main protagonist, Charly Gordon, who is a mentally challenged adult who receives surgery to increase his IQ. Although Charlie’s IQ doubles he faces new challenges that he’s never faced. The book started off at a slower pace but picked up in the middle. Following Charlie’s journey from someone who speaks at a kindergarten level to being able to talk about topics that most college students struggle with was inspiring. The book is recommended to anyone who wants to read a shorter story and psychological topics.

4. One of Us Is Lying by Karen M. McManus

Starting the book and finishing it in one night is a must. This book is for anyone who loves mystery books and likes tv-shows such as Pretty Little Liars. The book revolves around five high school students who attend detention, but only four of them leave alive. The book was fun and exciting and finding out who the killer at the end was the most surprising.

Alia

Cincinnati '23