Hallmark Native Hero?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
Hallmark Native Hero?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Original illustration by Kristina Stapelfeld
Style

5 Black-owned Clothing Brands to Support

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Cincinnati chapter.

Living through a pandemic is challenging, and it has been especially hard for small businesses to stay open across the United States. Businesses in Cincinnati have not been immune to the hardship of the pandemic, and we must continue to support our community. Black businesses especially have suffered under the pandemic. In honor Black History Month I have rounded up five awesome Black-owned apparel businesses based in the Cincinnati area. All five businesses have online stores so that you can easily shop while keeping socially distanced. It is important to shop at black-owned businesses not just in the month of February but every month. 

1. Originalitees

Originalitees is a must shop at store for Ohio themed merchandise. If you are interested in showing some state pride you can in the form of sweatshirts, t-shirts, and tank tops. They have merchandise that is specific to Ohio, but also they have merchandise with other designs including a Ruth Bader Ginsburg sweatshirt and Black Lives Matter t-shirts. 

2. Aphrodite Muse Clothing

If you have been searching for the perfect neutral matching set then Aphrodite Muse Clothing is where you must go! They have short sets and sweatpants sets that come at great price points. The Pink Velvet Shorts Set is just $20! They also offer pajamas, dresses, accessories, and more!  

3. Corporate 

Next time you are on the hunt for a new cool pair of Adidas, Puma, or Nike shoes you should go to Corporate. Corporate sells apparel and shoes from all of the most popular brands at the moment, and they have a great sale section where you can consistently get shoes on sale. Their selection is made up of unique and colorful pieces. They also sell accessories such as face masks and watches!

4. Nomads Swimwear 

Even though there will be no spring break this year it is always an exciting time when you get to buy a new swimsuit! Nomads carries size inclusive swimwear that comes in sizes small – 4x. The swimwear is made out of unique prints and you can mix and match different tops and bottoms! 

5. BlaCk OWned Outerwear

BlaCk OWned Outerwear is a great place to purchase your next sports bra and biker short combo. They have sets in red, white, black, blue, and pink. They have a sleek collaboration with the Cincinnati Bengals that includes a t-shirt, jogger set, and sweatshirt. They also sell face masks that are reversible and include filter pockets!

Abbie Calvert

Cincinnati '23

Abbie Calvert is a forth year Psychology major with a minor in Fashion Design Studies and certificate in Pre-Art Therapy. She loves art, reading, traveling, and hanging out with her cat Lilae.