Style > Beauty

3 Cool Sustainable Skincare Brands to Support

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Cincinnati chapter.

It’s no secret that the cosmetic industry has a damaging effect on the planet. In addition to their widespread use of single-use plastic, cosmetic companies contribute to pollution, deforestation, and carbon emissions substantially. Luckily, there are a plethora of sustainable beauty brands that have been established in recent years. Check out these three skincare companies that are committed to sustainability: 

Medicine cabinet packed full of skincare products
Megan Charles / Her Campus Media

1. Cocokind

Cocokind was founded by Priscilla Tsai in 2014 with the goal of creating sustainably made, clean skincare. They focus on using superfoods and natural ingredients that are safe and nourishing for your skin. Most of their packaging can be recycled or repurposed, and their next step is to incorporate ocean waste plastic into their packaging. Cocokind offers a wide variety of skincare products, and their Oil to Milk Cleanser won the 2020 Byrdie Eco Beauty Award. Most of their products are in the $10-$20 range, and they’re even available at Target, so it’s a super accessible option for sustainable beauty products. 

2. Loli 

Loli beauty is a slightly pricier option for sustainable skincare, but their products have won multiple awards for their quality and sustainability. They have a waste-free, toxin-free, and trash-free production process, and are committed to treating their workers fairly. All of their products are waterless, which makes them more concentrated and allows the company to save water. Loli uses superfood ingredients for their products, and they even upcycle ingredients from food waste. All of their packaging is either recycled, recyclable, or compostable; so you don’t have to worry about creating more plastic waste.  

3. Alaffia 

Alaffia was founded in 2003 by Olowo-n’djo Tchala, who was inspired to help combat the injustices he witnessed growing up in a West African village. Their company goal is to “alleviate poverty and advance gender equality through the fair trade of indigenous resources and community empowerment projects”. Alaffia employs women in West Africa to harvest local ingredients, and the products are finalized at the company’s headquarters in the United States. Their products, which include a range of skincare, body care, and hair care all range from around $5-$15. The drawback to this company is their use of plastic packaging, but they do source all their packaging from the US and use some recycled plastic. Most notable about this company is their commitment to fair trade practices and the enrichment of African communities, which undoubtedly helps the greater good. 

If you’ve ever wondered how you could make a positive impact on the planet, consider switching up your skincare. The options for sustainable skincare are abundant and accessible; there is no better time than right now. Just by choosing to buy skincare from a different company, you could be having a positive effect on the world around you. The climate is changing for the worse, and although it may feel fruitless to change your ways, little changes, like buying sustainable skincare, can add up and make a big difference.

Lily Brown

Cincinnati '24

University of Cincinnati