This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Cincinnati chapter.

Movies are a big part of our culture and some movies have helped to shape our culture. Movies are something that can impact the way we see the world. So, in no particular order, here is a list of 10 movies you must watch before you die.

1. Everything Everywhere All at Once 

Released in theaters on March 11, 2022, this Oscar-winning movie, directed by Daniel Kwan and Danie Scheinert, is groundbreaking. The film follows Evelyn, played by Michelle Yeoh, and her relationship with her daughter Joy, played by Stephanie Hsu. The movie moved me deeply. The story of Joy was easy to relate to as an immigrant child. It has themes of realism and existentialism.  

2. Uptown Girls 

This coming-of-age movie was released on August 15, 2003, starring Brittany Murphy and Dakota Fanning. The film follows Murphy’s character, Molly Gunn, as she falls into a new job as a nanny to 8-year-old Ray Schleine, Dakota Fanning. The film does an incredible job of showing how it feels to be an adult wishing to be a kid. It’s heartbreaking and the performances given by both actresses were phenomenal. 

3. La La Land

Released on December 6, 2016, this is a widely recognized and oscar-winning movie. The story follows Sebastian, played by Ryan Gosling, and Mia, played by Emma Stone, as they fall in love and chase their dreams in L.A. This musical romance film won six Oscars including Best Actress and Best Actor. Composer Justin Hurwitz put together an incredible soundtrack that includes, “City of Stars” and “Mia and Sebastian’s Theme” have become widely recognized and are simply beautiful scores.

4. 10 Things I Hate About You 

Released on March 19, 1999, this fun rom com is a classic watch. The film follows Kat Stratford, played by Julia Stiles, and Patrick Verona, played by Heath Ledger. Her younger sister can’t date until Kat does, so she sets her up with Patrick and we follow them through their ups and downs. It is a fun and light-hearted and has everything you could want in a rom-com. 

5. Pride and Prejudice (2005)

This adaptation of Jane Austin’s novel was released on November 11, 2005. Kiera Knightly plays Elizabeth Bennet and Matthew MacFadyen plays Mr. Darcy. The duo has incredible chemistry which is why this adaptation is my favorite. The film is shot beautifully and has many captivating moments, making this a must-watch if you are into classics. 

6. The Perks of Being a Wallflower 

This adaptation of Stephen Chbosky was released on September 21, 2012. It tackles tough subjects such as depression and grief. The movie follows Charlie, played by Logan Lerman, in his first year of high school and how he struggles through life with all the people he has lost. The movie handles harsh topics, so I do advise watching it in the right headspace, but it deals with the topics perfectly. 

7. The Devil Wears Prada 

This star-packed movie came out on June 30, 2006. Miranda Priestley, played by Meryl Streep, runs a high-end magazine and Andrea Sachs, played by Anne Hathaway, lands a secretary job while out looking for a writing job. This movie is everything you could want from Meryl Streep to great fashion and incredible acting. The movie won two Oscars one for Best Actress and the other for Best Costume Design. 

8. Spirited Away 

This is the 12th Studio Ghibli movie. Studio Ghibli is one of the best animation studios. Released on August 31, 2002, the movie follows a young girl as she falls into a different realm. The animation in this movie is incredible which is expected in all Hayao Miyazaki movies. This movie depicts aging in an incredible way with a gorgeous soundtrack.

9. Barbie 

Barbie was the most popular movie in 2023. Released on July 21, 2023, this movie follows Barbie and her life in both the real world and in Barbie land. This movie has been nominated for six Oscars. The movie deals with topics such as feminism and growing up.

10. Midsommar

This horror film was released on July 3, 2019, and is by far one of the best horror films as well as the director’s, Ari Asters, best film. It stars Florence Pugh as Dani and takes place in Sweden. It’s incredible and beautifully shot. The overview shots of Sweden were gorgeous. The research that went into the Swedish cult can be shown in the way it’s depicted in the movie. 

Hi! My name is Vaishnavi and I am a first year at the University of Cincinnati. I am currently majoring in Journalism. I am a huge movie fanatic, I can be found reading or watching something interesting in my computer.