Why Plants Are Just as Important as Pets

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Chatham chapter.

People love having dogs, cats, horses, guinea pigs and all sorts of creature companions.  They are an important part of life for most people, they boost morale and moods.  So why don’t people realize that plants can have similar physiological impacts?  Having some vegetation around can be a great thing for mood, health, and life!

Having greenery around can seriously boost my mood.  I love seeing that life is being brought to the room.  Plants are living things that, just like your pets, need tender love and care.  I believe giving this care can boost your mood a ton.  The feeling of giving life to something is remarkable, it is able to thrive because of you. 

Being around plants has also been proven to help your health.  Not only do they give off oxygen, but some have been known to purify the air.  Aloe plants, for instance, are one of the top ten air purifiers as a house plant.  Plants, like aloe, can also provide many other benefits.  Read into the specific ones you are looking at. 

Your green little friends can really make a lovely addition to your life, just like a four-legged friend.  You can spend time with them, tell them things, and simply enjoy their presence.  Watering them can be a part of your daily routine, making you feel more productive and fulfilled for the day. 

As you can see, plants can be pets, too.  They also take much less care and attention than an animal.  Greens are not only an important part of individuals’ lives, but they contribute to the over all health and well being of the planet.  Praise to the plants!

Cierra is a first year student at Chatham University, majoring in sustainability. She likes salads, trying new things, interacting with animals, and alone time. Being weird is a specialty, and nature is a second home.
Indigo Baloch is the HC Chatham Campus Correspondent. She is a junior at Chatham University double majoring in Creative Writing and Journalism and double minoring Graphic Design and an Asian Studies Certificate. Indigo is a writer and Editorial Assistant at Maniac Magazine and occasionally does book reviews for the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette. She is also the Public Relations Director for The Mr. Roboto Project (a music venue in Pittsburgh) and creates their monthly newsletter. During her freshman and sophomore year, Indigo was the Editor-in-Chief of Chatham's student driven newsprint: Communique. Currently, on campus, Indigo is the Communications Coordinator for Minor Bird (Chatham's literary magazine), the Public Relations Director for Chatham's chapter of Sigma Tau Delta, and a Staff Writer and Columnist for Communique. She has worked as a Fashion Editorial Intern for WHIRL Magazine, and has been a featured reader at Chatham's Undergraduate Reading Series and a featured writer in Minor Bird. She loves art, music, film, theater, writing, and traveling.