freestocks ChaY8166imQ unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
freestocks ChaY8166imQ unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Why I think Valentine’s Day is a Hoax

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Chatham chapter.
Valentine’s Day is coming around, and everyone is making a big deal about it. Either people love it, or they hate it. Typically, the people who love it the most are ones in relationships or working on one (or have really good friends). It seems like a day that isolates the single people. And for what??

This made up holiday seems like it is meant to make people feel good, but inadvertently makes a large part of the population left out. Isn’t inclusion a big part of modern day society? Or at least it is trying to be?  

And what are we really celebrating? A diaper-wearing archer? If you have to wait until February 14 to celebrate the love in your life or to spice things up, you have bigger problems than buying chocolate.  

I don’t say this to be cynical. I am actually in a great relationship with someone I love. I still refuse to go all out for this day, though. We are a broke college couple who have fun all the time. We also just got done spending money on each other for Christmas and birthdays. Why do we need to get googly eyed for one day out of the year? Why is this one day so special? 

In my opinion, we should do our normal routine on V-day, then take advantage of all the candy sales the next day! 

Cierra is a first year student at Chatham University, majoring in sustainability. She likes salads, trying new things, interacting with animals, and alone time. Being weird is a specialty, and nature is a second home.
Indigo Baloch is the HC Chatham Campus Correspondent. She is a junior at Chatham University double majoring in Creative Writing and Journalism and double minoring Graphic Design and an Asian Studies Certificate. Indigo is a writer and Editorial Assistant at Maniac Magazine and occasionally does book reviews for the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette. She is also the Public Relations Director for The Mr. Roboto Project (a music venue in Pittsburgh) and creates their monthly newsletter. During her freshman and sophomore year, Indigo was the Editor-in-Chief of Chatham's student driven newsprint: Communique. Currently, on campus, Indigo is the Communications Coordinator for Minor Bird (Chatham's literary magazine), the Public Relations Director for Chatham's chapter of Sigma Tau Delta, and a Staff Writer and Columnist for Communique. She has worked as a Fashion Editorial Intern for WHIRL Magazine, and has been a featured reader at Chatham's Undergraduate Reading Series and a featured writer in Minor Bird. She loves art, music, film, theater, writing, and traveling.