Where to Find Fashion Inspiration (Part 1)

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Chatham chapter.

Fashion inspiration, believe it or not, can be found just about anywhere and everywhere you go—you just have to really have an open and creative mind in order to find it. Want some new inspiration to put together a completely adorable new outfit? Well, look no further than this guide!

Works of Art
Considering that many paintings are portraits of royal figures, revel in the lush fabrics and stunning jewels worn centuries ago. The portraits of Queen Elizabeth I, Marie Antoinette, Catherine the Great, and Cleopatra are enough to inspire you to branch out from your usual wear and experiment.

TV Shows

Gossip Girl would not be Gossip Girl if it were not for the top-notch wardrobes of Blair Waldorf, Chuck Bass and Serena van der Woodsen. Although their high-end designer dreads are not exactly budget-friendly for a college girl, you can easily look to their styles for inspiration and find cheaper versions of what they’re wearing. Gilmore Girls, Mad Men, Sex and the City, Boardwalk Empire, and Pretty Little Liars—literally any TV show you watch can spark a new look. Inspiration is everywhere!

Movies

Marie Antoinette, The Royal Tenebaums, The Heathers, The Duchess, The Devil Wears Prada, Alice in Wonderland—get creative with fantastically fashionable flicks! Just because the costumes in the movies you see (à laTim Burton’s Alice in Wonderland) may be a little wild, that doesn’t mean that you HAVE to make your wardrobe as just as crazy to break out from your norm. Maybe you can be inspired to make a small change such as incorporating brighter colors.

Street Fashion

Even random people on the street can be just what you need to inspire you! Check out street fashion websites such as lookbook.nu or hel-looks.com if you want to start seeing higher-end street fashion. Also—find new ideas in your own hometown! Pittsburgh, despite being voted the 3rd worst dressed city by GQ, still has our fair share of fashionistas that keep the spirit of style alive.

Where do you find your fashion inspiration? Please feel free to leave feedback. If you have any suggestions for Part 2 of this article next week, just let me know!

Mara Flanagan is entering her seventh semester as a Chapter Advisor. After founding the Chatham University Her Campus chapter in November 2011, she served as Campus Correspondent until graduation in 2015. Mara works as a freelance social media consultant in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania. She interned in incident command software publicity at ADASHI Systems, gamification at Evive Station, iQ Kids Radio in WQED’s Education Department, PR at Markowitz Communications, writing at WQED-FM, and marketing and product development at Bossa Nova Robotics. She loves jazz, filmmaking and circus arts.