What to Watch: The Fall TV Reviews (Part 3 – The Finale)

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Chatham chapter.

Note: All opinions expressed in this article are solely those of the author.

In this installment of the “What to Watch” reviews, we’ll be checking out some more sitcoms. Which ones were big hits? And which ones should you miss?

Sean Saves the World

Sean Hayes, a veteran of the classic series Will and Grace, returns in my new favorite comedy. While critics came in with mixed reviews of the pilot, the second episode of the show drastically improved its quality. The series follows a divorced gay parent who must raise his teenage daughter on his own. Well, not exactly. His mother and best friend are always there to help and/or interfere to hilarious results as Sean tries to navigate his family, work, and love life. Some great laughs also come unexpectedly from Sean’s over-the-top boss (as seen in the clip above). While the series is fairly conventional – basic sitcom cinematography, single parent plotline, and been-there-done-that jokes – every line is delivered with the same crisp execution and warm, friendly tone that made us love Friday night sitcoms. It’s a familiar format with some familiar faces that is definitely worth watching!

For Fans of: Honestly? Any great sitcom

When to Watch: Thursdays at 9PM on NBC

The Michael J. Fox Show

The Office, Modern Family, Parks and Recreation – while all of these series used the faux-reality show formula to great success and the familiarity of Sean Saves the World proves to be a strength, here it is a downfall. The “interviews” distract rather than enhance an already thin plot. While it is a comedy and comedies are often concerned with the banalities of everyday life, The Michael J. Fox Show demonstrates no skill in balancing this with good humor. While the pilot had some good slapstick and some funny incidents (even the idea of seeing Michael’s character return to his spot as a top news reporter seemed promising), the following episodes slowly got worse and worse. Focusing too much on his family life, characters that didn’t blend well together to begin with (or stand out as great individual characters) slowly fracture, and even Fox’s comedic skill is diminished by the rather dull ensemble. The stories themselves also began to be rather obnoxious – including one in which Mike Henry falls for a neighbor and tries to hide it from his wife (a bit soon since we’ve only known him for a few episodes, eh?). While I was looking forward to this show, it is ultimately one of the season’s biggest disappointments.

For Fans of: Family comedy fanatics. My suggestion? Skip this and start searching for reruns of Family Ties and Home Improvement.

When to Watch: Thursdays at 9:30PM on NBC

The Crazy Ones

Robin Williams and Sarah Michelle Gellar are two beloved actors from your childhood. Face it – you know you watched that Hook VHS over and over, and you still have Buffy marathons. So how come their new show falls flat on its face? It could be that Robin Williams’ comedic timing is better suited to more bombastic ’90s-style films or even the no-boundaries setting of the stand-up stage. In Gellar’s case, it’s simple: she wasn’t made for this sort of comedy. This isn’t to say she isn’t a good comedic actress. Whether it was the musical episode of Buffy or the live-action Scooby-Doo, Gellar could hold her own when it came to funny scripts. It is the fact that, in The Crazy Ones, she is trying to play the straight man to Williams’ clown-like character that lands her performance in hot water. Not only that, but the two are also unconvincing as father and daughter. Despite fresh cameos from Kelly Clarkson and Josh Groban, this show about a successful advertising company is – ironically – a failure.  

For Fans of: It will be lucky if it gets a fan base…

When to Watch: Thursdays at 9PM on CBS

Super Fun Night

This show began with promise. The best part was that it has Rebel Wilson, who is my favorite part of any movie (i.e., Bridesmaids and Pitch Perfect). And at first it wasn’t hard to survive the corny video diary opening as well as a mutilation of Queen’s classic “Don’t Stop Me Now.” It was worth it to see the wacky life of Kimmie Boubier and her quirky roommates. The show started out strong with a great cast of supporting characters and a hilariously awkward sense of humor. But after a few episodes, the show devolved into one with poor character development and an endless string of tiresome fat jokes. (Although let’s face it – after we watched the trailer, we all saw it coming.) Even so, the script has a few good laughs and it’s not the worst way to kill a half-hour or two. 

For Fans of: This show is beyond words and cannot be compared. (Take that as you may.)

When to Watch: Wednesdays at 9:30PM on ABC

Cover Photo: Hollywood Reporter

HerCampus Chatham's Entertainment Writer, Onastasia Youssef graduated from high school in 2010 and entered Chatham University the same year. Although she majors in Art History and English, she has always had a passion for music journalism. She hopes to engage her readers with exciting stories that will broaden their knowledge of musical genres and provide them with the very latest in the entertainment world. Random Fun Facts: Favorite Movie - The Avengers Favorite Album - No Fences Favorite Color - Blue Favorite Food - Yogurt (yes, yogurt)
  Mara Flanagan is entering her seventh semester as a Chapter Advisor. After founding the Chatham University Her Campus chapter in November 2011, she served as Campus Correspondent until graduation in 2015. Mara works as a freelance social media consultant in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania. She interned in incident command software publicity at ADASHI Systems, gamification at Evive Station, iQ Kids Radio in WQED’s Education Department, PR at Markowitz Communications, writing at WQED-FM, and marketing and product development at Bossa Nova Robotics. She loves jazz, filmmaking and circus arts.