What to Expect at Dance Team Auditions: An Interview with Caitlin Miller

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Chatham chapter.

Whether you’re a trained dancer or a bedroom ballerina, an audition is still likely to send your nerves skyrocketing. Dance Team auditions are on Wednesday, September 5th at 8pm in the AFC. To give you as much information (and confidence) as possible, we spoke with one of the team captains, Caitlin Miller. 

HC Chatham: What can students expect at Dance Team auditions?

Miller: Students should expect to have some fun! An upbeat jazz combo will be learned to the song, “Pour Some Sugar on Me.” A little taste of what will be done at Dance Team practices will also be done. Expect some conditioning, stretching, and choreography.

How should students prepare?

Students can prepare by stretching out every day and being open-minded to different styles of dance. While we want dance team to be fun, we also want the students to learn. New dancers don’t be discouraged! Come out and just try your best!

What do you look for when selecting Dance Team members?

At the auditions we’re looking for students’ versatility, technique, musicality, and style. We want a dancer who is open to trying different styles of dance as well as having some sort of understanding of dance styles. As a dancer being on the music is important to prevent accidents and to look put together. However, we don’t expect perfection! We want to see your own individual style to our choreography.

What is it like to be on the Dance Team?

We’re looking to have a very stress free year! We will be attending at least one Chatham University athletic game a month, as well as other Chatham events. We are also hoping to have a recital at the end of each semester. Dance Team should allow students to show off their creative side as well as have some opportunities to perform. I’m hoping that it will be some sort of sisterhood for women at Chatham.

What will the Dance Team be up to this year?

This year you can see us at some athletic games, as well as other Chatham events. While we love cheering on athletics (Go Cougars!), we’re opening to be more about learning new styles of dance this year and allowing students to express their creative side. Like I mentioned, we’re hoping to have some recitals on campus as well. I’m also hoping to introduce students to the dance world beyond campus. Hopefully I’ll be attending some dance conventions and competitions and bringing the Dance Team with me!

Mara Flanagan is entering her seventh semester as a Chapter Advisor. After founding the Chatham University Her Campus chapter in November 2011, she served as Campus Correspondent until graduation in 2015. Mara works as a freelance social media consultant in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania. She interned in incident command software publicity at ADASHI Systems, gamification at Evive Station, iQ Kids Radio in WQED’s Education Department, PR at Markowitz Communications, writing at WQED-FM, and marketing and product development at Bossa Nova Robotics. She loves jazz, filmmaking and circus arts.